IPOD into Bose ... my attempt

dcash5

Can anyone confirm that it works with the iphone 4??

Yes it will work a treat.

My blackberry worked fine and now I have a HTC desire and again perfect sound.

This is a must have mod....

Will it charge the iphone as well though? I know there are some issues with cables that charge ipods but not iphones?

Sorry if I sound like a total moron, but only had the 350 a week so this may already have been answered.

Is there a difference in the 05/06 Bose head unit relating to fitting an iPod/iPhone? I've read about using a plug that piggy-backs the original wiring loom to the back of the unit. You take out the current plug, insert the new one, then insert the old plug in the back of the new plug. I think it mimics a boot multi changer, which means you don’t need to either hardwire or trick the tape deck.

Anyone tried this?

• 3 months later...

Hi Varley,

Do you meant you want to use the above cable to do the BOSE iPod hack (where you open up the BOSE head unit and solder the wires in)?

If so I think so (but would want someone to confirm for me - think I have circadian rythm sleep disorder atm so not really with it!), the phono connectors will have a positive and ground cable in each, connecting the 2 grounds from the phono's will give you the 3 wires you need for the iPod hack. For recharging you'd need find out what voltage the cable is expecting, if it's 12V you can hook it straight to a power source in the car (often cigarette lighter sockets), if it's different you may need to hack a car charger or make 1 using parts from maplins for the 12V -> xV down step.

thanks to AlexZ and dcash5 for the info. I did the ipod mod today - took about an hour and now i can charge my pod and listen to all 60GB of my iTunes library. it sounds excellent. the only slight downside is that i had 2 screws left over when i put everything back so i'll keep them in the car in case the dash falls apart...

one thing that might be useful, if you accidentally hit Eject, the tape player goes a bit wierd and the mod no longer works. what you need to do is hold Eject with the ignition off then turn the ignition on and that will sort it.

thanks again,

Jon.

web.jpg?ver=12927155710001

web.jpg?ver=12927156150001

web.jpg?ver=12927155880001

DONE, the cable i got, which i posted the link above, had another power and earth to charge ipod, for the time being i left these disconnected as im unsure what charge rate the ipod is and so on, but i did the rest of the mod as explained.

thank you to the person who came up with this, i now can have ipod in my car.

careful with this one. leaving the power disconnected might be a good idea. my ipod died in the car which I thought was cos i dropped it earlier so i bought a new one. all was working fine, then i turned my lights on and my brand new ipod got fried!? realised the problem is with my mod. how did that happen?

going to disconnect the power part and just run the audio (once i get a new ipod). battery life on the ipod is 36 hours anyway.

If you speak to R35LEE he will tell you it's not a good idea to run the charge off the power or any wiring on your headunit if you don't actually know what u are doing :thumbdown:

I managed to fry the BCM body control module and my ipod...2 grand worse off and had to get a new ipod :bang:

• 2 weeks later...
careful with this one. leaving the power disconnected might be a good idea. my ipod died in the car which I thought was cos i dropped it earlier so i bought a new one. all was working fine, then i turned my lights on and my brand new ipod got fried!? realised the problem is with my mod. how did that happen?

going to disconnect the power part and just run the audio (once i get a new ipod). battery life on the ipod is 36 hours anyway.

late reply on this one, the extra power and ground is just for the charging, i taped these up so wont touch to ground, i cant see just a simple wire would be ok to charge the ipod, im sure they would work on different voltages from the car, so i would think a converter or module would be needed to make this safe, the lead without the extra power and ground is then just a normal aux lead.