Unexpected tyre wear

Toon Chris

I have just had an MOt and it came with a few advisories.

The first was Exhaust Loud ( :p ) but I also got an unexpected advisory on the tyre depth.

i know the rears are around 3mm and have been gearing up to replace them in April, but the fronts have plenty of tread, or so I thought.

On closer inspection the fronts have heavy wear on the inside (the same on both) with a distinct sawtooth feel to the wear. I think this is due to incorrect toe but I'm puzzled as I have had a proper alignment done 4-5 months ago on one of these top-notch laser jobbies and haven't hit anything hard since then.

My previous front toe was 0.13 and 0.11 which is outside tolerance according to the alignment sticky and the garages alignment machine. I had no real wear problems on the front on the old settings but it didn't drive as well as it could have.

My toe after alignment is 0.03 and 0.02 which is fine according to the sticky and the garage machine.

I have heard a lot about early cars having excessive tyre wear on the inside due to incorrect settings, so have i gone wrong somewhere? Are the factory settings that the garage has used not correct for the car?

My car is slightly lowered but only by about 10-15mm as it kept catching the exhaust on big bumps when any lower. Camber, castor and the rears all seem fine.

Any ideas?

Not many bumps, no. I can't see them knocking both toe-in settings out though.

I can only think that the garage got the settings wrong but they are a professional set-up, not some back street place. That is whay i am interested to know if factory settings are actually wrong for the car?

• 4 weeks later...

Likely to be either toe setting's wrong or you've been straddling the speed cushions - I was taking an alternative route home for a while when they were doing some roadworks near me for 6 months, which involved a series of these speed cushions - I always straddled them. My tyres wore in exactly the way you described.

Dave