Encolsures

jacr87

In short you dont want the stereo music range 20-20000Hz to go straight to the subwoofer, you want it to ONLY 'hear' 20-100Hz, to do this you can put a filter in front (or in the AMP) of the subwoofer that cuts out the upper range and only passes through the lower range. If you play ALL of the sound to the sub it will sound crappy...

Don't want the thread to turn into a debate, and I agree with most of the good advice. I just want to add my experience into this as it maybe helpfull..

I wouldn't want to pass 20hz to a sub, it's very low and uses a lot of energy unnecessarily - and worse it can damage the sub. Most good amps / head units have a specific filter built in to stop very low frequencies in addition to a low pass filter to take out the higher frequecies (effectively creating a band pass). I would prefer to pass >35Hz to the sub and tune it lower with the port (assuming is not a sealed enclosure). I have a 12" JL which will produce audio down to around 25Hz, but it's the port that creates the frequencies lower than 40Hz, not the woofer. Also, 100Hz is in the directional audio range, i would hpf around <80Hz to avoid messing up the front sound stage. But then it does depend on the slope of the filter to quite a large extent.

Just my experiences :)

In short you dont want the stereo music range 20-20000Hz to go straight to the subwoofer, you want it to ONLY 'hear' 20-100Hz, to do this you can put a filter in front (or in the AMP) of the subwoofer that cuts out the upper range and only passes through the lower range. If you play ALL of the sound to the sub it will sound crappy...

Don't want the thread to turn into a debate, and I agree with most of the good advice. I just want to add my experience into this as it maybe helpfull..

I wouldn't want to pass 20hz to a sub, it's very low and uses a lot of energy unnecessarily - and worse it can damage the sub. Most good amps / head units have a specific filter built in to stop very low frequencies in addition to a low pass filter to take out the higher frequecies (effectively creating a band pass). I would prefer to pass >35Hz to the sub and tune it lower with the port (assuming is not a sealed enclosure). I have a 12" JL which will produce audio down to around 25Hz, but it's the port that creates the frequencies lower than 40Hz, not the woofer. Also, 100Hz is in the directional audio range, i would hpf around <80Hz to avoid messing up the front sound stage. But then it does depend on the slope of the filter to quite a large extent.

#I stand corrected :) that's higher tech stuff that I don't know about so jacr, use this guy to build your system :D

#I stand corrected :) that's higher tech stuff that I don't know about so jacr, use this guy to build your system :D

doh :doh:

Only kidding, glad to advise where i can. I'm no expert but i've been around car audio for a good while.

doh :doh:

Only kidding, glad to advise where i can. I'm no expert but i've been around car audio for a good while.

I took no offence mate :) I just know the basics thats all