Newbie Mobile Integration Question

GrahamB

Hell All,

I've just just bought a 55 plate GT (Gun with Sat/Nav and Parking Sensors) and am trying to get to the bottom of the hands-free integration.

The previous owner has a Nokia cradle fitted but I use a Blackberry 7100v which is, of course, not a cradle Nissan support.

I've looked at the THB site and there is both a Blackberry cradle and a Bluetooth option but I read elsewhere that Nissan have encrypted the integration software to only work with their cradles. I have spoken with two main Nissan dealers and they are both worse than useless. One (T H White in Slough) said that the unit isn't encrypted so an aftermarket cradle "should" work!

Anyone got any experience they can share? The aftermarket cradles aren't that expensive but if it's not possible to integrate my phone (either on a cradle or via Bluetooth) I might still be able to have a "chat" with my dealer about other options.

Ta

G B)

:welcome: Graham!!

Firstly, the base unit is encrypted. Your best bet is to get a Nissan bluetooth adaptor which you can get through either MrF (MJP) or Holdcroft - both traders and both registered users on here. Check out the banners on the homepage - you might also need to PM a mod to get a discount code. They are around £99 delivered iirc.

Cheers Andy

I've just spent 2 hrs (when I should have been working) trawling through old post to find out what you managed to tell me in 2 mins!

Nice to see that the manufacturer is treating its customer base so well by resticting supplyand then giving up on the technology (nothing different at Nissan than any other manufacturer I suppose).

Graham

Cheers Andy

I've just spent 2 hrs (when I should have been working) trawling through old post to find out what you managed to tell me in 2 mins!

Nice to see that the manufacturer is treating its customer base so well by resticting supplyand then giving up on the technology (nothing different at Nissan than any other manufacturer I suppose).

Graham

Completely agree with Andy, just go for one of the ORIGINAL NISSAN Bluetooth adapters that are supplied by one of our discounted suppliers as Andy mentioned.

Graham, the search functions tend to work well when looking for the info, but if not, then ask away as thats why we all here :thumbs:

BTW. PM me or one of the other mods/admins if you want the discount code off which ever supplier to decide to use.

National Carphones has just confirmed to me that the base unit is encrypted and that their products definitely will not work on the Nissan.

I'm in the almost the same position as you Graham... except that I've never had a mobile phone so am starting from scratch. Already have base unit fitted. Quite like the Nokia 6230i.

Peter

Unfortunately my Blackberry is a work phone which I can't change as I use it for remote email etc. The BT integration looks like the way forward except for a slightly weird conversation with the dealer.

I don't pick the car up for a few days so I phoned them to try and sort out the cradle stuff and from their description it appears there is an external speaker / and or mic mounted on the dash just below and to the left of the steering column. Is this normal? I was expecting a discrete little mic somewhere at eye level. I'm now wondering if the THB kit has been fitted as aftermarket rather than factory (and hence will give me more options / less cost for cradles and Bluetooth but might not properly integrate).

G

Ought to add that National Carphones were not just talking about BT units when they warned about encryption. They meant all cradles as my initial inquiry was about purchasing a non-BT Nokia cradle.

If it turns out that you do have a third party base station then I'd guess you do have wider options. Trouble is I don't know how you tell the difference without making a potentially expensive mistake.

If you've got a mic on the dash by the steering wheel it sounds very much like an aftermarket one. My mic is in the roof by the lights (although don't know if JDM is the same, I'd imagine so). I've got a mate with an A3 thats got a Nokia system which has been installed afterwards and from what you describe it sounds very similar.

Your best bet imo is to get the car and then see if theres a member close to you who you could meet up with and put em side by side. I would do mate but afraid its a bit of a trek for me :D

Thanks for the offer Andy! I think I'll drop back to the garage and have a nose around myself, my other half has a Nokia so I might be able to try it out. The car is standard UK spec but the dealer said they "assumed" that it was factory / dealer fit.

If all else fails I'll maybe take you up on the offer and make the North West my first run, I can drop in on my oldies in Cheshire...........

Ta

G

Thanks for the offer Andy! I think I'll drop back to the garage and have a nose around myself, my other half has a Nokia so I might be able to try it out. The car is standard UK spec but the dealer said they "assumed" that it was factory / dealer fit.

If all else fails I'll maybe take you up on the offer and make the North West my first run, I can drop in on my oldies in Cheshire...........

Ta

G

No worries mate, anytime!!

Yeah as pointed out Graham think the dealer is getting confused to the point that even some dealers haven't heard of the Bluetooth Kit. Everything is already rigged in the car (mic and speakers - uses the stereo ones and mutes the stereo when phone is used.) The bluetooth modules takes 10 seconds to fit and your then ready to go. Takes a few minutes to store the names and numbers.

Have heard that NissanGB are out of stock at the mo but Holdcroft still have some available.