Gearboxes

sam-wkd

Hey guys,

I've had my 350z serviced, and when it came back the gearbox wasn't right (couldn't get 2nd gear and it didn't feel right)....the garage were great and had the car straight back and went to Nissan, who said that I needed to use Nissan XZ 75w80 gear oil. They also said that my car was fitted with the later gearbox which is better......I have a 2004 import if that helps!

Does this make any sense? what gearbox do I have and is the 75w80 the right stuff?

Thanks very much for your help!

Sam

There was a syncromesh issue going into 2nd for some and 4th to 6th for others on some of the early ones. A later gearbox should just mean that it shouldn't have that issue. As for the oil, no idea!

Can assure you a gear box oil change will make zero difference to the issue you're experiencing - I tried that.

I also learnt (from a friend!) that the viscosity isn't the most important part either it must be GL4 rated - GL5 will damage the synchromesh.

Does it improve once the oil has warmed up? Mine only does it when cold - and TBH third back to second is worse.

The 2nd synchro issue is well documented on all the gearboxes.....you either live with it or get the box stripped and the parts replaced - though Nissan will recommend replacing more than just the parts affected :thumbs:

Hey guys,

I've had my 350z serviced, and when it came back the gearbox wasn't right (couldn't get 2nd gear and it didn't feel right)....the garage were great and had the car straight back and went to Nissan, who said that I needed to use Nissan XZ 75w80 gear oil. They also said that my car was fitted with the later gearbox which is better......I have a 2004 import if that helps!

Does this make any sense? what gearbox do I have and is the 75w80 the right stuff?

Thanks very much for your help!

Sam

Sam,

CDO #2 is the later box and Nissan XZ Gear Oil SAE 75W-85 - API GL4+ is the stuff to go for. :thumbs:

Alex.

Thanks for all the responses!

It wasn't doing it at all before I changed the oil. It is worse when the car is cold, but it does seem to be improving now.....spoke to Guy at Opie, who said that it might settle down after a couple of days (cause of the remaining old oil still on the gears) so will report back once I have used the car for a bit :)

Thanks again

Sam