Is this a good opportunity.....

Jak

I am off to L.A. soon (Mid April) for one week en route to a months campervanning round New Zealand followed by three nights in Hong Kong.

Is there good opportunity to pick up some small bits and pieces (bareing in mind if i buy in LA i will have to lug aroung NZ for a month so nothing huge or particually heavy) that i could pick up for the Z and save a few pennies?

What would you be looking out for if you were doing the same?

Many Thanks

Jak

Mods - Please feel free to move this if you feel necessary, wasnt too sure where to post as it's not exactly off topic! :blush:

I keep thinking about this myself, toying with the idea of going to Japan for a holiday this year and would love to bring things back.

Wondering if I would get stung by customms though and how easy it would be to bring larger parts home without getting caught or getting it damaged!

I guess smaller bits like Induction kits, small engine parts like spacers etc would be good for you to keep an eye out for!

even a pop charger would be a pain to lug around imo......

Good job i already have one of those then - but you're right, it really is going to have to be the smaller items anything bulky is going to be a real ball ache

now if only i could invent a shrink gun with a reverse setting.......

Jak

^^^ that is a definate on my list as want to get one of these before I book for an uprev at abbey, don't know I there is all that much of a saving though over what abbey can offer? I guess I'll just have to guage it whilst out there - does anyone know if there are any good traders in the LA area?

you could buy the parts in the states then post them back snail mail style to keep the cost down and if you openned them all wouldnt have to worry about lugging them about ro getting stung for customs since they wouldnt be new :)

Buy the items, unpackage, repackage with lots of bubblewrap and then send off as gifts with a item value of no more that $107, thus avoiding customs charges.

My bro has ordered many new items from the US that way and hasn't been stung by customs yet.

If you are worried about sending high value items and them getting lost and you not being to reclaim the full value off insurance, well that's a risk you gotta take.

I am off to L.A. soon (Mid April) for one week en route to a months campervanning round New Zealand followed by three nights in Hong Kong.

Is there good opportunity to pick up some small bits and pieces (bareing in mind if i buy in LA i will have to lug aroung NZ for a month so nothing huge or particually heavy) that i could pick up for the Z and save a few pennies?

Lol, well you're pretty unlikely to pic up any Z goodies here, unless you find something on Trade Me. Most us bring stuff in from overseas. Postage is a bit cheaper in NZ than the US if that's of any help.

If you get time check in at www.zclub.org.nz and you might be able to join in on an event here. Although we haven't put the April events up yet. Where abouts are you campervaning around here??? North Island or South Is or both?

Hi Bronzee,

That would be great as i'm sure i will be missing my own Z parked up all the way back home! We are doing both islands actually - starting in the North then off to the South - will definatly check the website closer to the date and try and get along to something - thanks for the invite! :thumbs:

Jak

That would be great as i'm sure i will be missing my own Z parked up all the way back home! We are doing both islands actually - starting in the North then off to the South - will definatly check the website closer to the date and try and get along to something - thanks for the invite! :thumbs:

Good time of year to come over too. By April, slightly less people around and it's not so stinking hot & the weather is fairly calm and stable, not like Summer/cyclone season.

Are there any Z bits that you're after in particular? You never know one of our guys might have something for sale.