How Powerful Is The stock alternator?

Demolition49

Hell Yes! :teeth:

I've got one of these waiting for her

Orion HCCA 12.2 4000 watt ( 4 inches of movement = more bass :teeth: )

http://images.sonicelectronix.com/image ... cca122.jpg

with Orion HCCA-D5000

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/image ... -D5000.jpg

So can the Z handle that kinda power or would i need to replace with a more powerful/add another one.

lol no more boot for you that 2.5k amp plus a second to run your comps (im assuming your gonna amp up a set of comps , please say you are)

with the depth of that sub it will interestting to see how you mount it , can the alt hold it i dunno.

only way i guess is look up the specs and see what she puts out , could try just starting wiht a big ole optima yellow for the battery and see.

also depends if your wanting to run it all while the cars off , varios factors i assume you know all to well or will once your done fitting that lot !

Oh yes, i learnt alot from my previous car lol.... i didnt realise id need a new alternator + battery amongst other stuff...

Bought the sub first, thought about it later!

Ended up paying £150 on cabling £200 Alternator £150 Battery and then £200 dynamat because everything vibrated.... Fuses... Another amp for comps... the list went on and on!

So many hidden costs!

I know what im getting in to this time!

And ofc i will be getting an amp to run comps, that would be madness with a beast of a sub not to have a proper set-up on comps.

:)

like siad i dunno how your gona mount that sub , will neda huge box if you go ported (you know you want to) and its deeeep so it wont be mounting face up . should bea great once its done , would love to have a listen at meet .

If your planning on making a full fiberglassed box i know some good suppliers for all that .

Bear in mind that that amp is going to be doing 2500into that sub not 5000W if the coils are wired in parallel.

Still with 2500W to be pulled I would be fitting an upgraded alternator if not a split charger if you are looking to run this at all with the car off.

Going to be a fun job getting that in a ported enclosure. A friend had two of them and the box was HUGE (and that was in a van!)

I wouldn't expect the stock alternator to handle that power. I have 750w of JL amps in my zed running a ported 12 (@24Hz), two sealed 8's for midbase behind the seats and a set of comps up front (and some coaxials for rear fill, but i wouldn't honestly bother with these). I put a yellow top in to replace the stock battery and it runs and charges just fine (sounds awsome too). I think you would need to upgrade the power cabling, ie 'the big three' (battery to earth, battery to alternator, alternator to earth). If i remember correctly anything over 1000w should ring alarm bells regarding battery and alternator.

Would be interesed in some build pics bud :thumbs: - which reminds me, really should get mine up at some point :)

Ok guys, ill be posting the build up in the near future once i get all the cash! Wanna get a nice head unit before i do anything, may go for the alpine double din.

Id like to do it in one pop!

Be interested to see your installs if you can post em up.

Thanks for your help guys.

It's more what the constant current draw is and how you protect the battery from the big hits.

I've got just under 1k RMS in mine (via a cap for 500w of that) and all seems to be ok for a little while. A lot of amps like claiming big figures but few actually kick it out. I've seen claimed 1,000w amplifiers with 15amp fuses in them! :lol:

It's more what the constant current draw is and how you protect the battery from the big hits.

I've got just under 1k RMS in mine (via a cap for 500w of that) and all seems to be ok for a little while. A lot of amps like claiming big figures but few actually kick it out. I've seen claimed 1,000w amplifiers with 15amp fuses in them! :lol:

indeed , there is a reason why some amps seem to cost a fortuen but have quite modest power ratings .. they actually deliver it and cleanly.