Rear brake pads (and other parts)

H5

Have to say that anyone out there that isn't a member here really will miss out on things like this.

Got a quote for rear brake pads from Nissan this morning (and other parts) - a tidy £114 + VAT. Having used Redstuff on previous cars I got a quote (using Brakes4u, cheers Mike! :thumbs: ) and have ordered these delivered next day for £51!!! Standard quality ones are even less.

Then the wierd science of pricing other parts. All + VAT

Passenger grab handle - £35.18

Rear bumper - £182.69

Silver strut cover - £100.48

How is a ruler sized piece of plastic over £40 yet an entire bumper under £215?? Washer jet nozzles are into the hundreds (each!) yet front bumper is about £150. :rant:

Guess this is where Holdcroft comes into it's own.....

Thumbs up to those who have arranged the discounts though, top job. :thumbs:

Yes, I will certainly be using Brakes4u in the next few months some time. Front pads will need doing soon, so might as well do the lot to Red stuff. :D

I had redstuff on all four corners and they were :thumbs::yahoo:

Did you change them yourself? Any dificulties with it?

Yes, I will certainly be using Brakes4u in the next few months some time. Front pads will need doing soon, so might as well do the lot to Red stuff. :D

Had someone do them for me but looked simple enough :thumbs:

Had someone do them for me but looked simple enough :thumbs:

Happy days, sounds like a job for me next month then. :thumbs:

very straightforward. I did mine myself

why would you need to change the rears before the fronts I don't know... :lol:

My rears have still over 50% life on them after nearly 30k miles.

Hence I don't know how long it would take, but since the rears are 2 pots it should take even less...

I think the fronts were done the service before I got it, so would make snese the rears need doing now. Mine's done almost 29k and the outer pads look fine. Clearly the inner that has worn. :wacko:

Will hope it doesn't rain tonight!!

I think the fronts were done the service before I got it, so would make snese the rears need doing now. Mine's done almost 29k and the outer pads look fine. Clearly the inner that has worn. :wacko:

Will hope it doesn't rain tonight!!

that sounds strange! when I replaced my front ones they had worn evenly :)

Weather held off, and job done.

The 350zmotoring link is useful, but focussed on changing both pads and disc. You don't need to remove the caliper to change the pads.

Usual stuff to start, chock wheel, loosen wheel nuts, release hand brake etc....

So:-

- Wheel off you'll see two clips hooked over the outer edge of the caliper. These go through the bars holding the pads in the caliper. Wrap hand in rag to avoid punching wheel arch bare handed :blush: and removed the clips.

- Slide bars out, watch out for spider clip springing out.

- Push pads back (I used wheel jack bar) and remove pads, then push pistons back ready for new pads.

- Slide new pads in and replace bottom bar.

- Hook bottom of spider clip behind bottom bar and slide top bar in to secure.

- Replace pins in bars.

Nothing to un-do and forget to do up, no removal needed.

There's no pics as I was racing against fading light. Should be able to do this in no more than 45 mins for both sides from start to finish.

If it's useful, I'll be removing rear wheels soon for some cleaning so if pictures (with arrows etc.) are wanted for the above let me know and I'll do it.

One question, anybody seen their worn rear pads at any point and had the inner pads wearing more than the outer? I had it on both of mine.