Electric seat not working

kazman

The forward/backward electrical adjustment on my drivers seat has just stopped working. Luckily it failed in a position that is ok for me to drive in, but is there no manual override of any sort?

I am hoping I can get this repaired on my 3rd party warranty (I phoned them and they said it is covered).

I think it's the rocker switch itself, it seemed happier going back than forward when I adjusted it earlier, now it goes neither way but I think that because it is all the way back. I'm guessing it's not a fuse as the passengers side is ok as is the angle adjustment on the drivers side.

This happened a few times to me and there is one solution that does work in my case, but takes a lot of balls.

In my case, the seat wouldn't recline back after I reclined it forward. After playing with it for a while, I got really annoyed and made it go to a near-undriveable position. Got home, posted on here, took the seat apart, found that the little motor thing jammed ever so slightly and would only rotate one way. Put seat back together. It worked.

Next time it happened, I was knowledgeable and did this:

I reclined it forward, checking every now and then if it goes back. Eventually, I reclined it a looong way and it began going back at this point. Once it goes back, keep holding the switch and it goes back all the way.

This has worked for me on the 3-4 occasions that this has happened so far. If it fails to work though, you won't be able to even get into the car, so apply this at your own risk :)

Thanks for the replys. Unfortunately the seat does not adjust forwards or backwards now (possibly all the way back already) so I can't even experiment... The forward backwards recline is working fine so nothing to be gained by twidiling with that... Electric seats with no manual override must be the most stupid invention in the world :rant: in the future I would advise peole to buy a non GT model, that way you get a cd player that works and seats that won't potentialy leave you stranded.

Thanks for the replys. Unfortunately the seat does not adjust forwards or backwards now (possibly all the way back already) so I can't even experiment... The forward backwards recline is working fine so nothing to be gained by twidiling with that... Electric seats with no manual override must be the most stupid invention in the world :rant: in the future I would advise peole to buy a non GT model, that way you get a cd player that works and seats that won't potentialy leave you stranded.

I'd advise to take the seat apart. That's what I did. It's not all that difficult once you get to it and GCSE Science is more than enough to figure out what the connections underneath there are.

Thanks

are there any connections I specifically want to avoid disconnecting? I could see a couple fo White connectors near the motor fitted near the front of the sear frame. I assume I want to try these?

I think it's the actual rocker switch tbh, it does not feel as clicky as the passenger side one and when I really leant on it earlier the seat went forward again a bit.

All sorted :thumbs:

Went postal on the rocker switch with a can of WD-40. Couple of minutes wiggling the switch and it now works like a charm.

For anyone else trying to work out if their seat is all the way back when the motor or switch break - the interior light will dim a touch if you hold the switch in the forward / back position when the seat is already fully forward/back position. This should help you rule out the motor.

Hope this helps someone else out in the future :)

• Thanks 1