£41,000 in OZ

ATTAK Z

Why the high price in Ireland (relative to other cars as it is in Oz)..... Is Nissan sales policy at fault or it is the same for all Japanese vehicles?

Combination of factors the largest of which is an extra tax called VRT (which is calculated on the orig price + VAT) - this was brought in as a vehicle registration tax - though as the EU has been making noises about it being an illegal tax - the Irish government are now starting to base this tax on emissions so they can play the green card. :rant:

Add in the €1600 per year I pay in road tax on the Zed (and a further €1400 on the Range Rover) and Ireland is a very expensive place to own and run a nice car.

The only good part about it (as a Zed owner) is that Zeds are as rare as hens teeth over here and they're only gonna get rarer.

Steady Zeddy

Do cars made in the EU (i.e Caymans etc.) get lower VRT banding than Japanese or non EU cars?

Nope - VRT is now based on emmisions - over 225 CO2 and your into an additional 36% tax on the car purchase price + VAT (Open Market Sellin Price). This also applies to 2nd hand car sales so the Zed is also very expensive to import from the UK/Japan.

The car market over here has basically crashed - not surprising really as it was pretty much taxed out of existance - add in the recession (and people no longer buying new cars) and there is no longer much of a car market to speak about. Large dealerships have closed down all over the place and its impossible to sell a large capacity petrol car.

The Irish government have within the past couple of weeks brought out a scrappage scheme (on cars 10years and older) - too little/too late if you ask me - they were massively greddy for years as the motorist was such a soft touch - you have to own a car as theres no public transport to speak about especially where I live in the West of Ireland - yet instead of reducing their motor taxs when times got harder they choose to increase motor/fuel taxes and basically killed off any chance of a recovery in the motor trade. They ended up shooting themselves in the foot as the tax take fell through the floor as people just didn't spend the money on cars.

Heres a slide of new car sales in Ireland in 2009 - says it all I think - http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/stats/?y=2009&cat=1

149,000 cars sold in 2008 (itself not a great year for car sales) - 55,000 cars sold in 2009 - looking much worse for 2010.

The 370Z costs £41,000 in OZ ($71,000) .......... Why so much?

I don't think it would be quite that much. I could be quite wrong. The Aussie dollar is slightly stronger the Kiwi. 370z depending on spec in NZ is about 72-75k something. So that's about 27k Pounds I think very roughly ish.

Was in Oz Melbourne and Sydney recently..cars are more expensive Down Under. There were quite a few 350Z but don't think the Aussies are into car modification. Lots of them look standard and unmolested :thumbdown:

Yes cars are more expensive down this end of the world. Especially European ones due to having to put them on a ship that much further. Your average say Toymota Corolla (25-30k) or Camry (30-40k depending on spec). Camry in similar range to say a Neeesan Maxima.

The Aussie dollar is slightly stronger the Kiwi. 370z depending on spec in NZ is about 72-75k something. So that's about 27k Pounds I think very roughly ish.

Today's rates

£1 = $ Aus 1.743

£1 = $ NZ 2.692

Moral for Aussies - buy in NZ and ship .......... maybe :D