Porter Cable DAS or SFX

bernmc

Well, I'll take it no-one knows then. Rats. :wacko:

I'm going to order:

Sonus SFX Polisher Kit

Sonus DAS Buffing Bonnet, Pkg/2

The Perfect Shine Detailing Clay Intro Package (2)

Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towel

303 Aerospace Protectant, 16 oz. (2)

Comes to around 170 quid with shipping and discount - not bad as long as Mr customs man doesn't nab me!

Well, can't fault autopiafor service :thumbs:. Ordered Monday, arrived Thursday - that's from USA :yahoo:. Customs forms stated cost of each item as $5 - total of $25, so no VAT or import!

I bought a 3.3 KVA 110V transformer, 14m lead and a 110V plug from screwfix for 67 quid. You can get cheaper .75 KVA transformers (fleabay for eg), but there's very little difference in price, and the extra socket means I can run other 110V tools now.

I ended up getting some clay, interior cleaner, cloths and towels from autopia too - they're cheaper than uk, and several products were on special offer. All in, $305.11 - GBP164.01, paid by paypal (another plus for autopia!).

So grand total of GBP231ish.

If you just wanted the porter cable SFX kit, after shipping and discount (pm bluffy or me), it would set you back $223.74 - around GBP118 on your doorstep. Add 67 squid for the transformer and bits, and you're looking at GBP 185 delivered. Around 40-50 quid less than UK prices.

Of course, you run the risk of having to pay postage back to the US if you need to make a warranty claim. You pays your money and you takes your chances!

Just caught up with this topic, did exactly the same myself...and yes got SFX pads, also got the 4" spot pads and 3.5" backing plate, good for getting in areas where the 6" cannt. Autopia are ace, nothing is to much trouble and they will still e mail you after to ensure that you got your order and everything is OK.

I did the scooby the other weekend with the PC, stunning finish if I say so myself :teeth: the car just gleams like glass. I was experimenting a bit so went a bit over the top......practice on the scoob befor I attack the 350!! so this is what I did........AS a word of advice, always start with the least abrasive pad and polish first then work your way up, and ideally you need 2 or 3 pads of each grade.

Washed car 2 bucket method with lambswool mit & Maguires NXT wash

Dry with waffle weave towel

Clayed car with Meguires claybar and quick detailer as lubricant

Wash & rinse & dry car.

Inspect swirls & condition using 500w interior lights & get machine out of box!

Tried SFX blue 6" pad with poorboys SSR1 which had no real effect on the swirls, so ended up using SFX yellow pad and SSR2.5 buffed off with microfibre towel.

In some areas the SSR2.5 left a slight haze to the paint so went over that with SFX white pad & SSR1 & buffed off. At this stage the car was as smooth as silk and had no scratches or swirl marks whatso ever, but I was aiming for the deepest shine possible so I then......

Polished with Autoglym super resin polish on a SFX white pad & buffed of with microfibre towel, then to try more gloss enhancement....

Applied Clearkote moose red glaze on a SFX blue pad and removed with micro fibre towel...... getting better next stage was...

Poorboys Exp sealant applied over by hand and left for about an hour to cure and buffed off by hand and finished that off with a 3 coats of Nattys blue paste wax. 12 hours between applications.

The wheels were polished with AG srp polish and EXP sealant then waxed with nattys blue (not the best wax for wheels but all I had) and the tyres were dresses with Autoglym tyre spray.

All glass was cleaned both sides with meguires fast glass applied with kitchen paper and buffed of with microfibre towel. Little trick in cleaning glass I found is if you clean the outside with vertical strokes and the inside with horizontal strokes, you can see if you have missed any areas easily or havent buffed some off.

Exhaust stainless was polished with Solvo autosol.

I'm not really an anorak :yawn: ...but having experimented I now know the easy way forward for the zed.