Brakes running in, Brake's bedding in procedures..

gazofcorra

Guys,

I have done this thread to try and get as much info in one place, as i know there are a few threads with brake bedding in procedures scattered about the forum, but it takes me ages using the search and was hoping to get the users who supply discs and/or pads or people with more knowledge than most to put there views, methods and reasons on "How to actually bed brakes in correctly".

We could here from people with extensive knowledge of the most popular brands EBC, Dixcel, BDA, Brembo, mintex, ferrodo etc etc... and there recommended methods of bedding in as some may vary slightly.

The questions:

1. How to bed in discs and/or pads using normal day to day driving

2. How to bed in discs and/or pads on the track

3. How to prepare discs and/or pads that have been run in already, prior to doing a track day?

If i have missed a relevent question let me know and i will add it to the list, also if those who do participate could specify which discs and/or pads they are refering to at the beginning of there post this would make things clearer and then comment to one, two or all of the 3 questions in order if you can.

Example:

Title or subject EBC turbo groove discs and EBC red stuff pads

1. blah blah blah

2. Do not know

3. Blah blah blah

Or

Title or subject Ferrodo DS2500 Pads

1. info

2. info

3. info

You all get my drift i am sure :D but best to be clear from the start as it will make a better topic to read, hopefully :bang:

Cheers guys and hope this helps.

to be honest, I think its pretty much the same no matter what manufacturer or conditions - 60mph then brake slowly to 10mph, repeat 5 times etc. If you are replacing disks and pads, I dont think you even need to do this as long as you copper them up etc - i might be wrong, but is what i seem to remember etc...

The idea behind any bedding procedure is to leave a thin film of material on the discs as well treating the whole pad to an even temperature. I use the following method for OEM and aftermarket stuff unless specifically told otherwise:

5 x light pedal applications from 50mph to 30mph: This warms up the front edge of the pad.

Drive for 2 miles without touching the brakes (if possible) at 50mph+ (get loads of cool air onto the brakes)

5 x medium pedal applications from 70mph to 30mph: This warms up the centre of the pad.

Drive for 2 miles without touching the brakes (if possible) at 50mph+

5 x hard pedal applications from 100mph to 50mph: This warms up the back edge of the pad.

Drive for 2 miles without touching the brakes (if possible) at 50mph+

That's a very general usage guide. Some brakes (AP discs IIRC) want you to do the last set of stops after approx 200 miles of regular driving without any hard stops, but that's not always possible. Mintex and Performance Friction are fine with the method as it stands though. As far as the light, med and hard pressures go...

Light = Gentle braking, what you would normally do on the road given the chance

Medium = Fairly solid pressure, but before the point of locking up/ABS

Hard = Stand on the pedal!

You won't go far wrong with any of that.