Burning Rubber Smell

geoff-r

Hi guys, now I swear I saw a topic on this before but I've had a good search around and can't seem to find anything. I can't say my Zed ownership has been plain sailing so far and is slowly but surely starting to leave a bitter taste in my mouth which is starting to get a bit disheartening. Whilst the car is great and all, little problems really seem to be getting in the way. My car had been with Nissan all last week so I was without it whilst I've been trying to push on with a warranty claim regarding the gearbox. When I got it back that was all irrelevant as I was so happy to get back behind the wheel of it. Now my problem and quite a concern since getting it back is the smell of burning rubber. Unfortunately this burning rubber smell is not the kind you get from laying down the power it seems to be happening more at idle than anything.

I really noticed this tonight when I left my car idle while I went in to get keys to move my bros car so I could get on the drive. I got back in the car and there was a thick smell of burning rubber. I popped the bonnet to have a quick smell but it was dark and I could only smell the burning rubber briefly. The major thing I'm asking myself now is if the car is going to be like this at 16,000 miles I don't want to know what it's like at 60,000 miles. I hope I see 60,000 though, but does anyone have any ideas? I'm racking my brain here, thinking is it the air filter for the fans? But then it happens when the fans are in the 'off' position. So my only other thought is that it's a belt catching somewhere. Any ideas?

Can't help with your problem but I'm sure plenty of people here will be along soon to advice you.

Regarding problems with the Z and milage, don't worry about it, as long the car is treated well it wont give you any problems, member here owns / owned cars with well over 80K miles and still going strong.

Good luck on sorting out the problem :thumbs:

i had burning rubber smell and it was a/c/ belt, swapped both belts and all gone - worth a try?

Might be worth a try, I'll try and take a look at it in the light tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion. On a side note I know the cars do well if looked after as a mate had one on 80,000 miles and it sounded lovely. I just get a little disheartened when problems pop up so early on in my ownership especially when the car is so young. Considering I'm coming from owning a 92 civic that never gave me a problem and lapped up the miles to the tune of 160k when I was running back and forth to uni.

Don't worry mate, once you get any little niggles sorted it should all be fine. :thumbs:

I keep telling myself that mate ;) does anyone else have any ideas as to what it is? I'm going to have to check out that a/c belt later on and if there's anything else I can check that would be great.

howdy, i had a funny smell from my driver side front wheel, i couldnt place it but litrally only smelt it twice and never again so far. I came to teh conclusion it was where i have to do a series of manovers basically slipping teh clutch and one of them is over a lip to get into my space....

As since i havent smelt it, but i am keeping my noise open for it...

Its just nerves of buying a new car i am the same lol!