Wanting to replace Bose crud. CONFUSED!

Number86

Hey Chaps,

Just bought my 06 GT a few weeks ago! Loving the car, absolutely HATING the turd of a system that's in there. Unfortunately, the free feature of skipping tracks on the CD doesn't seem to skip a whole track, just in the middle of the track and uncontrollably completely ruining the listening experience, with no way of turning it off. Some could call this a fault, I'd call it a feature :dots: *cough*

So, I've been reading this sub forum for a bit, doing searches etc. I'm a bit of an idiot on this and it's really getting to my brain!

After attempting to fit a sound system to my last car, giving up half way through and paying someone to finish, I'm not even going to attempt to do it myself again this time :) and I'm feeling a bit lost about what I should be looking at, and how I go about it.

In a nutshell, my criteria is.

New HU

Touchscreen/screen great, but not essential.

USB/Card reader/ipod/bluetooth phone support for iphones (as I understand you lose this)

New front speakers

New sub, is possible?

I just want something that matches the colour scheme of the standard car lights, sounds good, and allows me to maintain use of a sub, bluetooth and adds memory card/iphone support! My requirements for sound quality are reasonably high, as I've always run modified systems in my cars. But I'm a realist in the Zee. It doesn't have to be amazing, I just want it to sound decent, as the bose/clarion is winding me up so much. The fact I've seen reviews of people saying how the Bose was great and the sub shakes your bones is just laughable!

The questions getting to me are this:

If I get a new HU, and use my amp from old car (where would it go btw?) do I lose use of the bose sub behind the seat?

If so, I don't mind paying for a new sub, but would it slot straight in to the old space? Is it easy to use. Again, I don't mind paying, but not ludicrous amounts for custom fabricated boxes and interior panelling if that's what's required.

Would fitters being savvy enough to be able to carry out the bose satnav hack? This is a biggy for me. I like the satnav and don't want to lose audio!

Urggh, I'm lost! :help: Help me guys. I think I've got round what I'd need to buy to compliment the HU upgrade (looms, steering control adapter and such) but everything else I'm lost on.

On the note of fitting too. Anyone know any fitters in the SE area who are familiar with the Z?

Sorry about the long post! Needed to get that all out!

If someone knows enough to just say. Oi 86 you div. You probably want this HU, these front speakers and this sub, go to this guy and pay him £xx and your done. I'd give you oral favours and buy you a packet of dry roasted peanuts!!

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=24395

A nurrish system would go down well mate. Have a look at the thread. :thumbs:

Then get yourself an aftermarket headunit with a good output and your there.

You could then replace the Bose sub and speakers at a later date. If you wanted to do that straight away a lot of people on here have already done so, the majority going with a new sub in the boot as opposed to filling the space where the Bose sub is.

ok first off you need a HU with 3 sets of pre out(front/rear and sub) so if you go double din this limits you to the higher end stuff (all alpines ) .

like me you want BT and usb/ipod this means either top of the line units or get the add in modules , bets value unit ive seen is the jvc 820 . if its as good as theyre other avx range then it should be pretty good (ive got a single din avx33 )

as for loosing the blose sub then there not need to but there no reason to keep its just dead weight .

most peep keep the stock amp and speakers and just add a second amp/sub whihc i belive you already have. the amp will hide under the glove comaprtment easy or behind where the sub was no problem.

new sub either needs the old sun mount taking out (dismantle basicly the whole interior) and a box will fit there if its made right(see guide somewhere in here) or do as me and most others do and make a custom one for the boot.

any decnt ice install can do it all it just comes down to £££ id get one thats done a Z before as the the dash is all hooked in and as soon as i mentioned the Z to my local shop the guy ah the one wiht tricky folding dash thingy !

did do it myself with a second pair of hands to help put all back in .

Thanks guys. Yoko, I see by your sig pic you've stowed the sub at the side. Nice little fit. May I ask which one it was, so I can possibly steal the idea and pretend to my friends I'm dead clever! :)

Also, as far as the existing sub, I think I'll give it a miss re-using that space, can the old one be removed without too much hassle, or does it just have to sit there idle?

• 4 weeks later...