New Custom Exhaust with two back boxes

g60luke

Hey,

Got a quote today for a custom exhaust for the Zed, from a company I have used loads of times over the years on several cars and top quality company.

Gonna go cat back with 3" pipe and back to 2 seperate backboxes (rather than the current big briefcase!!)

Pipe work after the 3" to the back boxes will be 2.5" (or 2.25"). All based on straight through design and not offset baffles

What sort of effect on the performance will this be likely to gain (or lose!!!) based on similar off the shelf stuff.

Cheers

Luke

As the others have said, depending on your other mods, the car will likely run lean and you will not really make anything without a remap to correct the AFR. Its very car dependant though, as some Zeds react quite well to mods some dont. AdrianK has a buddy club which sounds like its a similar design to yours and he made good numbers last time out on the dyno, although he had high flow cats too.

Don't expect any gains without a re-map. Unless its a very early import the ECU will adjust and cancel out any increases.

This still seems to be a 'grey' area - has anybody actually confirmed that early JDM's DON'T cancel out mods?

Nope, never confirmed :lol:

I've had an 02 plate and my current is an 03 but when I put the nismo ECU in, there was a world of difference so I think its a myth.. :snack:

Why would it run lean with the same lambda probes/cat etc..

I can understand loss of back pressure, but why would the mixture change?!

The Zed seems to run too rich in standard tune in my opinion anyway....!

Even rollers with dyno charts seem to have a higher fuel to air ratio....!

But thats irellevant, wanna understand why a cat back can so badly affect the AFR and make it lean? :blink: