Jumpy Rev Counter

geoff-r

You'll have to forgive me if this has been covered before but it is something that annoys me a little bit. I suppose I never noticed this when I first bought my 350 but the rev counter is jumpy. I tried to tell myself it was just a characteristic of the car, but after going out in a mates I'm starting to think otherwise. As it doesn't actually affect the car or anything it's never on my mind. Basically when changing gear the rev counter bounces around. Does anyone elses car suffer from this? I've booked mine into Nissan next week anyway because I'm not happy about the sound of the thrust bearing so I may have to bring it up. But if anyone can give me a quick fix that would be great :D

Hi Carl, might have to check yours out. I'm sure there's a simple reason why it does it but it's hard to make the needle not jump, even with the very smoothest of gear changes. Do you drive a roadster like the one in your avatar? Saw a metallic blue roadster on the A470 the other day going into Cardiff.

we find this is normally caused by a out of tolerance reading from the crank signal sensor. Sometimes even a bit if clutch dust will cause this problem.

The car reads the engine crank position from around the flywheel with a inductive senor which fits in the gearbox , there are a numbe rof cut outs that tell the ECU at what postion the engine is to allow the car to inject the right amount of fuel and fire the mixture at the right time also tells the ecu what revs the car is doing. any fluctuation in this signal coul dmake the rev counter jump around. but it doesnt seem to cause any perfomance loss.

hope the helps.

Mark