Zed model differences....

Leeroy

Hi there,

I had a look at a couple of 350Z's yeaterday and have a couple of questions.

They were a 2004 (53) and a 2007 (07 i think). Both cars were in a Nissan dealership and were factory standard.

The 2007 car didn't sound as good as the older one, it was much smoother sounding. Is this normal?

The gearbox was better on the newer car, could just be an age thing, but was the 'box improved later?

Finally the biting point of the clutch on the 2004 car was very high - is this a wear thing or is it supposed to be different on older cars?

Cheers,

Leeroy.

Yes (But was it a stock zorst? All the way through?)

Yes (But good different? I felt the 07 box wasnt as raw as the 04.. Felt that they had done more to make it better for everyone in the 07...)

Different but as above... Down to it having more appeal... But I have an 04 with a stock clutch and I dont see it as high... :shrug:

Just go for the one that you like - dont worry too much about sound differences etc - the 07 engine has twin are intakes and actually sounds louder than the older one in my opinion - there should be a suitable prices difference between them.

If the clutch is high I would think its probably a worn clutch more than anything else - maybe mention that as a price swinger?

I have driven about 20 cars recently and all 3 variations. The latest 350Z >2007 I didn't think was as torquey low down as the 276 and 296hp models. Yes, the 2007 Zed may have ultimately more power but it is much higher up the rev range and less accessible for normal road driving. Also it seems a little more docile (maybe more refined) than the 2 earlier zeds. I also did not like the hump in the bonnet of the >2007 model but this is down to personal preference. I went for a low mileage 2006 (296hp) Zed. I thought the few revisions plus the bi-zenons were worth the extra money over the earlier model.

P.S. don't forget post April 2006 zeds have the increased road tax (£405per year) - pre 2006 zeds are £215

I have driven about 20 cars recently and all 3 variations. The latest 350Z >2007 I didn't think was as torquey low down as the 276 and 296hp models. Yes, the 2007 Zed may have ultimately more power but it is much higher up the rev range and less accessible for normal road driving. Also it seems a little more docile (maybe more refined) than the 2 earlier zeds. I also did not like the hump in the bonnet of the >2007 model but this is down to personal preference. I went for a low mileage 2006 (296hp) Zed. I thought the few revisions plus the bi-zenons were worth the extra money over the earlier model.

P.S. don't forget post April 2006 zeds have the increased road tax (£405per year) - pre 2006 zeds are £215

Based on my test drives i agree on the refinement thing, preferred the earlier model for that. I drove another (2005) yesterday and it sounded better too.

Another question though, the one yesterday did seem to tramline a lot more, is it likely to be tyres/tracking? Maybe the others did it too but i just didn't notice it?

Cheers,

Leeroy...

I thought the whole point for the '07 engine revamp was to privide more torque lower down so cant understand why you say its less torquey lower down than the earlier models? I find it has bags more power low down.

The '07 is more quieter but then mines a ragtop so its quiet anyway but deffo sounds louder outside (to me anyway)

The earlier models sound like your engaged more with the engine - you can hear it working so maybe that it?

Not had any tramlining issues at all thats down to tracking and poor tyres I think. :thumbs:

I thought the whole point for the '07 engine revamp was to privide more torque lower down so cant understand why you say its less torquey lower down than the earlier models? I find it has bags more power low down.

I'd agree with this. I stepped out of a MY03 into an MY07 and no perceptible loss of torque. The increase in power is very noticeable. The MY07 is smoother and more refined low down but rev it out to the red line and its got a far more cultured rumble at high revs where the old car used to sound strained. IMHO the later engine is a huge improvement and the one to have. :thumbs:

I'd agree with this. I stepped out of a MY03 into an MY07 and no perceptible loss of torque. The increase in power is very noticeable. The MY07 is smoother and more refined low down but rev it out to the red line and its got a far more cultured rumble at high revs where the old car used to sound strained. IMHO the later engine is a huge improvement and the one to have. :thumbs:

It's a win win situation as far as I'm concerned, they all sounded pretty damn fine to me ;)

Cheers for the info :D

Ive just bought a 04 plate 350 GT. This had a new clutch fitted (I have the Nissan paperwork) in April and my clutch pedal is high. I'm sure I have read somewere they auto adjust so I would imagine the pedal height has always been that high. If you fancy that car get one an open road put it in 6th, round 35mph and roll on. If the clutch is going to slip it will be under all that torque..

Hamster one here as a 54plate GT just like mine...my exhaust seems to be a bit louder than his...Not sure why...maybe age or just a different supplier to Nissan at that time. :teeth:

I agree with above, go for the one you feel most happy with there all mint cars apart from filling it up every week :angry:

Alexz

The '07 is more quieter but then mines a ragtop so its quiet anyway but deffo sounds louder outside (to me anyway)

The earlier models sound like your engaged more with the engine - you can hear it working so maybe that it?

Not had any tramlining issues at all thats down to tracking and poor tyres I think. :thumbs:

Not so. The 07 engine does produce more power but higher up the rev range which is less accessible than the earlier zeds during normal driving. I was expecting a big dollop of torque from the 07 engine but it didn't happen until you revved it to near max revs. Don't forget if you shift the power up the rev range (and the 07 has an extra 500rpm rev limit) then you will suffer a loss lower down - Both the 2006 and the 07 uprev engines have variable valve timing on both inlet and exhaust, but the 276hp engine only has varible valve timing on the inlet side.

The tramlining issue is normally down to worn tyres or at worse worn or perished suspension bushes.

Not so. The 07 engine does produce more power but higher up the rev range which is less accessible than the earlier zeds during normal driving. I was expecting a big dollop of torque from the 07 engine but it didn't happen until you revved it to near max revs. Don't forget if you shift the power up the rev range (and the 07 has an extra 500rpm rev limit) then you will suffer a loss lower down - Both the 2006 and the 07 uprev engines have variable valve timing on both inlet and exhaust, but the 276hp engine only has varible valve timing on the inlet side.

The tramlining issue is normally down to worn tyres or at worse worn or perished suspension bushes.

That'd make sense, the car had done 75K miles. The tyres looked alright.