an afternoon with Team AFM and the Diesel racecar

rtbiscuit

Well i was really chuffed on Thursday, Team AFM who have been doing all my bodykit work invited me to join them for the afternoon down at Woodbridge MOD as they were partaking in a track session down there with Javalin track days. they had one of their cars down there and offered to take me for a few passenger laps of temporary circuit that was set up down there.

i had loads of fun it was a fantastic experience and Rick the boss is a very experienced Race driver showed me what the car could do. this is there smaller car. its a BMW 1 series Diesel that they use in several cups. its stripped out inside, but the only external work has been removing the emmissions sensor(or something like that) a remap and some exhaust work (maybe one or to other things.) and uprated brake pads. still running fairly stock.

P1010001.jpg

P1000999.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

For those of you who don't know Team AFM stands for Alternative Fuel Motor sports, and a lot of the stuff they are building for the race world revolve around this. but they will build and tune anything.

this thing was bloody quick for a diesel, and was alot better in the corners than most things out there. i think we did something like 8 laps and the braking on it was phenomenal, due to the 5 point harness my nuts are not up near my stomach. but it was great fun. it makes for a fairly cheap race car. as it was pretty standard. and considering he had been tracking it all day, it only used about £40 of fuel. its definaly opened my eyes to building a diesel track car.

this is their baby track car,

the daddy of their workshop id there £115,000 1 series Diesel Touring car, sadly he didn't bring it down but hopefully he might do soon and i'll get to experience that. as apparently that thing is a beast.

one thing i will add, for a diesel it sounded pretty funky. and quiet mean. a bit tractor at low revs but once under heavy driving, i quite liked it.

anyways i thought i would share my great afternoon with you. and a kind of a thanks to rick if he reads this for free ride :teeth:

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

If anyone in the suffolk area is interested apparently javelin are at MOD woodbridge once a month. so i;m sure you could get yourself on the list for driving your own car out there. the track setup is very twisty and made for a great drive.

and anyone interested in some track driving tuition Rick is looking and doing this on a more regular basis. (he does it here and there) he is a very good racing driver, and its a shame he's not on the track more, but he has been more focussed on the business and has sadly given that side up for a bit.

But I bet you rather glad of that 5 point harness as the car was thundering down the straights preparing to corner etc. ;)

There are a few bonuses to being a Sprinkle, lol, we don't have a problem being locked into a 5 point harness. ;):lol:

Hope you weren't in the bm'er when it kissed the wall or another car.