High(er) PSI

milesh

Hey guys

Hopefully you can clear something up for me.. I've just had my first 9,000 mile service done and now when I drive the car around it seems to have a higher oil pressure than before. Normally 70mph in 6th gear sat around 60 psi, now its closer to 85ish. I've also noticed that it generally seems to be showing a higher pressure. So, the question is if this is normal or not!

Thanks in advance

mines doing the same,

my guess is there is more oil so more pressure, also if the viscosity is different that might also have an effect.

as long as the oil gauge is reading , and the dipstick says there is oil in there then there shouldn't be a problem

You can always ask them what kind of oil they used.

I know Nissan used their own branded semi synthetic. After switching to fully synth when I went FI, I didn't notice any significant change in my reading.

When warmed up, it sits at 25ish at idle and 60ish at normal cruising.

mines doing the same,

my guess is there is more oil so more pressure, also if the viscosity is different that might also have an effect.

This is not the case and more oil will not effect the oil pressure, unless you have very little in the sump. As the engine oil get old, it also gets thinner due to the constant heating up and cooling down - also it absorbs combustion chemicals, therefore there may be a slight loss in pressure over time. Fresh oil will not have any of these defects so the pressure may show as being higher.

You are right about the viscosity. If this has changed there may be an effect on oil pressure although I would expect this to be small.