Tips for Best Man Duties?!

Adriank

Well it's that time for me, i am to be my mates Best Man this weekend at his wedding.

Have a speech on paper (Rehersing it now at work as i'm typing this :thumbs: )

Any of you Veteran Best Men, got any tips for me on how i can get the most out of the day, and do the best job i can for a very deserving mate.

cheers guys

P.S. I am Bricking it big style about the Speech :surrender:

I was best man for my mate back in 1983. He was a very easy person to write a speech for and there were many funny stories to tell. I had everyone in tears of laughter but the best part was when a girl announced that she was going to **** her knickers unless she rushed to the ladies because she was laughing so much :lol:

I loved it when i did it and when i got into my stride during the speech the nerves went out of the window. :teeth:

My tip is a nice stiff drink before you start ;)

Yeh, nerves to start but then great when you get into it!! (I missed all the lovely food I was so nervous!!)

Remember that when looking online most of the stuff has been done before like the keys etc...Just use some of the ideas as a guide! use picturers, get some of the audience to help you with some bits. Be polite and dont take the p155 too much and say anything you will regret afterwards!! you may be taped after all!! Topical is good too.. Do the usual with the thanks etc..

I had a series of stories, which 1/2 of I couldnt tell but the groom knew the whole story so I had a list on a powerpoint slide that had headings like "the one about the pool table" and "the one about wendy and her sister" and then some others that were less risky! like "the one about the athletes foot", lots of our mates knew the stories but his family and outlaws didnt so when I read out the headings, there was laughter and gasps... I then had a tombola that had numbers inside (releating to just the ones I could tell....) and envelopes infront of me with numbers and thengot the bride and the bridesmaids to pull out the numbers getting involved in the game of chance.... the groom was $hitting himself every time a number was pulled out... and the audience were calling for the numbers to be read out from the ones that they knew were bad... Went down well...

One I was at that was good when the best man did a sort of mastermind game with the groom and asked him questions... Just needs a bit of setting up and a spotlight!

Just remember to practice and do a run through with a few mates to gauge reaction!

Cheers guys, the families are quite conservative / religeous, so i have been warned to steer clear of a lot of the funny but dodgy stories i have.

I also havent seen loads of him in the most recent times and so fresh content is thin, its made doing the speech quite difficult but i think i have cobbled something together that will do the job.

I've got the nerves aswell, but as you say, they will pass once it starts im sure, im going to go away tonight and have another really good thnik about funny times and see what i can cook up.

:thumbs:

Cheers guys, the families are quite conservative / religeous, so i have been warned to steer clear of a lot of the funny but dodgy stories i have.

I also havent seen loads of him in the most recent times and so fresh content is thin, its made doing the speech quite difficult but i think i have cobbled something together that will do the job.

I've got the nerves aswell, but as you say, they will pass once it starts im sure, im going to go away tonight and have another really good thnik about funny times and see what i can cook up.

:thumbs:

Exactly!! never let the truth stand in the way of a good story!!

Judge the dodgy stories yourself, you will know if you can get away with them or if they are too off the mark... its not just about the familys! there is an audience that need a laugh and they are expecting it! PM it over if you need an opinion!! After all I dont know any of them!!

Well I've got all this to come soon too .. my Brother is getting married in May and has asked me to be his best man ... The only thing I am nervous about is the speech .. I've never had to do it before and am generally not very good when it comes to public anouncements such as these ..

The good thing is that I've got a few months to get the speech together and practice etc ... although I already know that a week before the wedding I still won't have a thing ready .. LoL

Oh well ... get a few drinks down and improvise?