Probably a stupid question but....

JDM Performance

OK, newbie question.

When the traction control is on, does the light on the dash light up, or is it off?

Reason is, the light is off on my car, so I assume the TC is on....

But, I have already managed to wheelspin 3 times and get it very out of sorts on a roundabout... which would make me think the TC is off?

:wheelchair:

Chris

Guest prescience

As you say when the light is OFF the traction control is ON - you can still wheelspin the car, no problem - particularly in winter conditions.

Many people do drive with TC OFF (i.e. light ON) all the time - except perhaps the worst conditions. :)

The TC seems to kick in pretty late sometimes (which is good imo) and I only really notice it when I give it some extra welly around a corner and the TC cuts in after a little slide. I don't tend to welly it in 1st/2nd though or I don't get anywhere quick, just lots of spin! :D

The traction control can actually cause you problems, if you are sliding sideways. If you are in this situation, sometimes the worst thing you can do is lift off! - which is exactly what the TC does.

I had exactly this happen to me when exiting a roundabout, which had some kind of spill on the exit. The back end started coming out to the right and as i was correcting it, the TC kicked in, which made the back end immediately whip round to the left and nearly put me off the road.

If I am driving "with spirit" I now turn the traction off.