Advice Required - Should I Reject a New Car?

greido

This is maybe a question for the car dealers or legally trained out there?

I bought a new Fiat 500 for my girlfriend and picked it up on Tuesday; it has the white steering wheel and dash, nice but probably the most practical things in the world.

To cut a fairly long story short I picked the car up in pissing rain and it was fairly overcast so never got a chance to look at it properly but did notice finger marks and oil on the steering wheel. Not a good start but I didn't bother complaining about it because it'd have been quicker for me to clean it myself rather than drive back to the dealer to have it cleaned.

It got me wondering though, it the dealer has been careless enough to make a white steering wheel dirty, what else might be wrong? - After this thought I decided to put the car in my garage so that I could have a decent look at it in daylight, needles to say I took it out the garage tonight to find that someone has opened the drivers door onto (probably) a wall, the door is very slightly dented and the paint has chipped off, it’s probably less than 1cm along the door frame but it does look hideous.

Question is; what do I do now?

Obviously the dealer will attempt to say that I've damaged the car since I got it but that is impossible; I picked the car up with 8 miles on it, it now has 12 miles and I live 4 miles from the dealer and there are no walls it could possibly have hit on my drive on in my garage.

What are my options? - Return/Reject the car and ask for a replacement?

I suspect they will attempt to fob me off with a repair but who would want a brand new car that has had to be touched up?

If any of you guys have any knowledge of my legal position or what my next move should be I'd be very in interested to hear from you.

My current plan is to call the dealer tomorrow then put my grievance in writing and ask for a replacement; obviously I wouldn't use the car until I get some satisfaction.

Apologies for the essay!

G

I have had problems with a new car I took delivery of which I discovered had rust on it. I was told that was because it had sat in a field and this 'happens'. They wouldn't take it back when I rejected it. I called CAB and a solicitor and both told me the same. You have to allow them a resonable amount of time to repair the vehicle before they are obliged to take it back.

You can try and shame them if they still play up. I did this in the end and they couldn't take it back off me quick enough. It is a dodgy one though and I think you will find you have more rights if you go and buy a pair of jeans. Good luck, hope you get it sorted. Sarah :)

Once you have a taken ownership of the car and driven it away, you have accepted it in its cosmetic condition, for all they know you could have poped into sainsburys on your way home and someone dinged the door. Imagine if you were the dealer trying to run a business and how many times this happens, not saying their out to rob you but you should have checked over the car. I always take new pics of my Zed all over before it leaves my hands for any work and check it over before I pay/drive it off as thats your only real chance of any comeback if anything happens.

If I was you I would go back and be very polite and hopefully they will repair it for you. Its just one of those things really

Sad but true it's not unusual for a brand new car (any brand) to need panel or paint work before it goes to it's first owner. Can be damaged coming off the transporter, or in the forecourt or anything. At least it's not mechanical problems, just superficial. How bad are the grease marks on the steering wheel? Perhaps post us a picture.

A friend of mine had her brand new citroen for a couple of days when someone decided to clip her front wheel arch. No major damage but the paint was chipped and scuffed. She took it to the dealer for a quote and they did it for free!!!

They are not all that bad out there I think it's just how you approach it. Start off calm and if you get no where then get nasty :)

Thanks very much guys, all your input is very much appreciated; the marks on the steering wheel are much more noticeable in the sunlight and by the time I thought to take pictures the car was back in the garage so they didn't turn out too well. If I get the car out and we get some daylight (I'm in Glasgow at the moment and it's very dark and overcast at the moment) I'll try to take a few snaps and post them.

In the meantime, I'll call the dealer and see what their patter is; I'm glad I never managed to get a hold of them last night as I was a bit furious to say the least and given the advice of you guys that's probably not the stance to take.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted with any outcome.

G

Friend of mine has a body repair shop he used to do work for Citroen, you would be amazed at the number of un registered cars he would paint mostly bonnet roof & tailgates on every car as they had been standing for so long in nasty places. All before the 'new' owner got his barnd new car!!