What Makes my Reg Number 'non-transferable' ?

Dene8

I think it might be to do with it being an import as technically it's reregisted.

On classics many people sell the plate and then ask DVLA for a new age specific plate. They issue it but make it non transferable so they can't sell it on.

I might be totally wrong but it's my understanding.

Most probably, as it will have been assigned an age related plate as part of the import process.

You could put a private plate on your car, but you couldn't take the plate you currently have on the car and put it on another car of the same age or place it on retention.

Edit - beaten by stew - yes thats the reason for the non transferable. Its stops people selling on age related plates for older vehicles that could be valuable.

i.e. say I have a 1930's car, and it is on its original plate of three letters and one number. I put that registration on retention and then put it on my Z. Nice posh plate on the Z. As part of putting that plate on retention, the DVLA would have to issue another age specific plate for the 1930's car.

If they did not make it non transferable, then I could do the same again, put it on retention and then flog it. As these type of plates will be valuable, there could be good money in it if done over and over... So the DVLA mak the replacement plate for the old car non transferable, so it stops this from happening.