Amsoil

bernmc

Following on from this thread, I have spoken to Don at Performance Oils Ltd, and TheMinel here about organising a discount for 350-z-uk members.

Amsoil ATF is about the only oil that my VR4 gearbox likes, and I've got numerous lab analyses of the engine oil if anyone wants me to post them here (also from the VR4 though - too early to have got anything from the 350z).

I've always had excellent service from Don - hugely knowledgable, good advice, and very quick delivery of everything I order.

My family now has A VR4, a Pug, a Fiesta, and a Hyundai coupe all with Amsoil oils in their engines and gearboxes, and also amsoil oil filters... the 350z is next in line.

The other nice thing about Performance Oils is that they can supply Lab Analysis kits, so you can take a sample of your engine oil and get it properly analysed - no more of this 'oil x is better than y' - you can prove it with science magicary! I was changing my VR4's ATF at every service - 4500miles/3monthly-ish (10 litres a time at close on 10 quid a litre). Put Amsoil in last time, tested it before this service - found to be well within spec, so no need to change... 100 quid saved already.

(So if anyone wants to rise to the challenge, and supply me with their favourite flavour oil (free of course!) for the z, I'll put it in and have it tested after 5000 miles - then we'll see just how good it realy is! Put your money where your mouth is.)

There's a huge amount of info over on ClubVR4 if you want to find out a bit more, (do a search for 'amsoil') but I hope to duplicate most of it here - I'll be having the z's oils analysed and I'll post the results here. My wife doesn't do a huge amount of mileage in the week though, so it'll take a while to get the info.

I've pm'd Don, and he should be along within the next few days with details - it's typically 10% off and free delivery for orders of over 100 quid (if I remember correctly).

Hope it proves useful... ;)

Below is the sort of lab report you get back - this was from my VR4 before its latest service (Amsoil 10W-30 Turbo fully synth). I made a mistake when I wrote the oil grade on the sending slip, which is why the viscosity is flagged (anything in a black box is serious, grey is a caution, and white boxes are normal -viscosity is actually normal for 10W-30, but I'd written 0W-30.)

We're supposed to change oil in the VR4 every 4500 miles - This oil was 5600 miles old and is still in spec - ie no change necessary, so a 40 quid saving. (Although I changed it anyway - the 0W-30 Amsoil this time, so we'll see how that does).

The silicate level is a bit high, but we've tracket that down to the K&N panel filter - I'll be changing back to a regular filter. Keep away from thos thin oily things!

Motul is an excellent oil and IMHO comes next in line behind Amsoil. Amsoil was the first company to produce API certified oil and has the trade mark 'The First In Synthetics' as a result. Being a family owned business it has never 'sold out' to get a huge sales increase, nor has it cheapened its product to increase its profit margin; it also continually developes it products being a chanpion of extended oil service intervals. (One of there gear oil is advertised as being good for 1/2 million miles!).

Searches on the web will quickly show independant test comparisons between Amsoil and other brands. Amsoil is top on every one of the 10 Internationally recognised tests for every one of their products with just 1 exception (1 Amsoil grade comes second in 1 of the 10 tests at the moment but this may change soon as they continually improve their product) Amsoil publish these results, have them on their products and packaging. If they were false they would be sued by the Multi Nationals. Such is life in America.

Amsoil were concerned about the new range of oil Motul produced, which IMHO is flattery indeed, The products have now been tested and Amsoil are no longer worried.

Yes we can supply Oil Analysis test kits but do this at cost, really, and only to our customers. They are £15 with postage or less if added to an order.

:thumbs: