Standard sub space

Shaun1982

Has anyone sealed the box for the standard bose sub & put another 10''in it? Going to my local audio shop tomorow with the zed to see about doing a deal on a 10'' against the 12'' l7 i got off them a few months back.

Obviously as the l7 is the top of that bit of the Kicker range i need a 10 that will give me the same kind of performance but in the zed.Any suggestions?

The standard sub space is a) small, B) leaky. It will take a lot of work to seal it properly and the calculations will need to be done for the volume the sub needs (less the magnet, basket etc.). If you know the audio supplier / installer and they are any good this should be straight forward. It's unlikely the Kicker will fit (from memory) and have enough air. It might be a really good 8" or small enclosure 10" that is needed..... :)

Cheers mate,im sure i read in another thread on here that it can be sealed with dynamat or the like & then its left with after 2cubic ft of volume obviously without the sub in.Ill see tomorow when i go there but its highly unlikely the kicker can stay,its square for starters.lol

Hi mate,

I'm running a 10" Focal (round) sub in the factory location.

I mounted an MDF ring to the factory spot and attached the sub to the MDF ring. The dynamat has made a huge difference but you cannot seal the box - the seat belt winder for example is attached to the inside of the box and you can't go sealing that up!! There are LOTS of holes - I think I needed 4 rolls to cover the entire surface with one 'coat.'

You will also cover the fuel pump access point - if your fuel pump fails it will be swine removing the dynamat to access it...

The sub sounds great when listening to rock (fast beats etc) but not so great when you have sustained bass such as dance or garage type music. I'm an old rocker so that's fine with me but you won't get the best from your sub in that space if you're looking for pounding bass.

I hope that helps!

Matt

Ahhh damnnnn.lol. cheers matt thats quite informative there chief :thumbs: totally unsure now as what to do,the audio shop said maybe a custom box built inside the standard place but i told him about the fuel pump point so thats a no go.has anyone ever had a box made up to fill the space under & infront of the rear strut?id love to keep the l7 but the box its in now is like the size of a double 12'' box :scare:

The box would need to be huge & that would take up too much space,ideally though i wanted as much hidden as possible,think ill be mounting at least one of my amps in the wheel well. I really havent got the time to give the zed away to have a box done as its my daily driver,infact id guess i dont have the fundage either to get a custom box made.

All this faffing just for a sub :thumbdown:

Oh yeah i listen to R&B and hip hop mostly.lol. i like my bigg bass too B)

I've seen boxes before that slide into the stock space. That would in effect give you a sealed space, but also slides out should you need to access the fuel pump. Shouldnt be hard for a proper installer to make a box like that :thumbs:

Hi,

I recently had a full install done on mine and the idea was stealth. I need the limited storage we have.

I had a custom box made to fit in the original sub space. (tricky calculations for the shop) I have an Alpine 10" Type R sub which move about 15 times more air than the woolly Bose sub that was in. They took out the metal mounting plates made the box to sit on the floor. Sounds great.

Above all else the order of the day should be Dynamat, dynamat, dynamat or it'll vibrate and shake the interior to bits.

Hope these pics help a bit. (not much to see sorry)

So the sub would face upwards towards the speakers & nav drive then yeah?or do you mount it so it faces out as usual? Theyre got some pretty sweet stuff on the site :thumbs:

After talking to the audio shop & then coming home to rip the back of the zed apart that is as far as ive got.lol.Still no closer to making a decision but it looks like ill have my big audiobahn amp,kicker l7 & possibly my little jbl amp to shift on :byebye:

If you went for stealth then how come those speakers stand out like a sore thumb :lol:

Well you get the general idea. When I said stealth, What I should have said is that I didn't want my brand new interior chopped to bits and all the space used for amps and subs.(Smart arse).lol :lol:

The amps are in that bulkhead as well and the autochanger is in the passenger glovebox.

Oh and as for the fuel pump, Didn't know it was there, but as they say "If it went in, it'll come back out" (If it needs to anyway). :teeth:

As for the box it is an odd shape, kind of stepped at the back so it sits nice. And before any smart arses say anything i said "Stepped" not "Steps" not my kind of music. :p

Wibble :wacko:

Sorry mate. I dont, but a good audio installer will be able to work out the box inside volume required and the its just a matter of making it that big in a shape that fits. (If that makes sense).

If you look at the space you have and the floor shape, that will put you on your way.

Sorry can't be more help.

i had the sub out a the other but didnt see how the bose mounting plate comes out, anyone know ?

looked room for a 10 maybe a small volume 12 if you were a lil crafty with the box design (fiberglass shaped to fill ALL the space) failnig that if you can do wiht out your glove box thingy get 2 10's boxed up one behind each seat and you have your self a massage seats ! ;)

Not a problem helimeddaz mate youve been ery helpfull upto now anyway :thumbs:

Yokomo i did consider that but i really cant give the car away for however long it takes.lol.I helped my mate do a fibreglass install in another mates skyline,looked ok once it was covered in carpet but i thought it looked a bit shabby otherwise.lol. admittedly it was the parts you cant see but i suppose id expected something like majority of an mdf box,like a bottom & 2 sides or something,then after the rings are mounted fibreglassing the front but he did the whole boxes in fibreglass. Got through alot of our mates old t shirts & material too.lol

i had the sub out a the other but didnt see how the bose mounting plate comes out, anyone know ?

If I remember rightly, once you remove the plastic panel, you then need to remove the trim thats left (whole piece from one side to the other) and then its just a few bolts to get it out. I think you need to remove the big bit of trim to access the bolts, not just the little cover than pops out. Hope that makes sense :wacko:

EDIT: This should help

Trim part removed - can see the bolts to undo

IMG_6198_thumb.jpg

All out

IMG_6205_thumb.jpg

From what i can see in them pics, i'd say that the innards of the glovebox can be bolted up in place of the subwoofer, as all the holes look like a mirror image on both sides. It even looks like the glove box door would fit as well. Just look at the profile of the plastic were the grille fits :ninja:

Glovebox on both sides could be ideal for amps while the sub/s could go under the strut brace. Anybody tried this?

So the sub would face upwards towards the speakers & nav drive then yeah?or do you mount it so it faces out as usual? Theyre got some pretty sweet stuff on the site :thumbs:

After talking to the audio shop & then coming home to rip the back of the zed apart that is as far as ive got.lol.Still no closer to making a decision but it looks like ill have my big audiobahn amp,kicker l7 & possibly my little jbl amp to shift on :byebye:

Nope you mount it so the sub faces up and you dont get so much of the thump in your back!!!

Does this help?

350z_box.jpg

Oh and another thing... I have a JL 10" in the stock location but I dont have a MDF ring that I need to do at some point... I just dynamatted around the sub bracket and some of the wholes and then stuffed the rest of the hole with inflammable loft insulation!! Works fine for now till I work out how to finish my install!

From what i can see in them pics, i'd say that the innards of the glovebox can be bolted up in place of the subwoofer, as all the holes look like a mirror image on both sides. It even looks like the glove box door would fit as well. Just look at the profile of the plastic were the grille fits :ninja:

Glovebox on both sides could be ideal for amps while the sub/s could go under the strut brace. Anybody tried this?

I seem to remember looking at this before, and the door of the glovebox is built into that piece its on. So that bit that is pulled away is one piece and not simply popped into the whole like the sub cover. Could be wrong though, its been over 18 months since I had that apart!