Alternator Help!

T2JOU

After having coilovers fitted and alignment done yesterday, my zed cut out whilst crawling along in traffic. It restarted and had the battery light flash on and off whilst limping home. I thought it was down to the battery so stuck it on charge last night, and set off to get it checked at a local tyre fitter today.

Turns out that the battery tested fine, holds a charge ok, but the alternator is not charging it very well (the battery tester showed it right between warning/ok). The volt guage on the dash shows just over 12 volts before starting and when started rises to 14 volts, then it slowly drops to about 13.5 volts. I'm guessing from this that the alternator is actually working...

I've checked and cleaned all the grounding points I can fine for the engine/alternator but it didn't seem to make any difference, one of the belts at the front of the engine is a bit squeeky at times, could a loose belt cause the alternator to only create a low voltage?

Any help would be appreciated before I visit Nissan and bend over! :headhurt:

After having coilovers fitted and alignment done yesterday, my zed cut out whilst crawling along in traffic. It restarted and had the battery light flash on and off whilst limping home. I thought it was down to the battery so stuck it on charge last night, and set off to get it checked at a local tyre fitter today.

Turns out that the battery tested fine, holds a charge ok, but the alternator is not charging it very well (the battery tester showed it right between warning/ok). The volt guage on the dash shows just over 12 volts before starting and when started rises to 14 volts, then it slowly drops to about 13.5 volts. I'm guessing from this that the alternator is actually working...

I've checked and cleaned all the grounding points I can fine for the engine/alternator but it didn't seem to make any difference, one of the belts at the front of the engine is a bit squeeky at times, could a loose belt cause the alternator to only create a low voltage?

Any help would be appreciated before I visit Nissan and bend over! :headhurt:

If your belt is to loose and slipping then it is possible that this may be your fault but I doubt it.

Tighten up the belt and get the charging rate checked properly.

If worst case scenario is faulty alternator then give me a shout back as I have low mileage ones available that will save you a fortune. :thumbs:

Good luck,

Cheers,

Alex.

First step should be to check and clean the leads/terminals coming from the alternator and make sure that these are secure, it may be that something has worked its way loose. It seems strange that this problem has only started to occur since you have had some work carried out, I would be looking in the vicinty of this work for the problem