What use are performance mods if ECU ruins it all?

rickya

Ok so the ECU cancels out the effects of any mods as it is not at all adaptive, so Iv read. This is so for e.g. fitting ram air filters etc have no use-no power gains.

So does that also mean that modifying the other end of the system i.e exhaust manifolds/cats/exhaust would aslo have no effect due to ECU lamda sensors in the exhaust?

If this is so & they have no horsepower increases then why are they done - simply to change the driveability/cooling/ & weight saving?

It would seem that maybe a simple grounding kit & larger plenum might therefore be the best two mods unless you are changing the ECU to an aftermarket programmable one. Any thoughts, am I talking rubbish!! :scare:

What a stroke of luck! Just about to look into buying a Groundink kit, looked carefully at engine & already have one, on the recently bought JDM. It looks like it is a Nismo one, it says in tiny writing what looks like "SILKO" but might be nismo?

ps I am right in thinking the z had no grounding kit fitted at all from factory?

the answer to the title is.... noise. But that's about it mate

mid range gains too I guess, but then you risk running too rich thanks again to the ECU, so really not much point.

PS this thread belongs in "performance" ;):)