A few hours in New York

On Saturday I am flying to Costa Rica for 2 weeks, which is going to be pretty damn awesome to say the least.

I'm flying out with frinds, but when I fly home I will have approximately 7.5 hours to kill on my own at Newark Airport so I am thinking about leaving the airport and going into New York for a few hours to do a little shopping/sightseeing. However I have never been to New York before and am wondering if anyone has done anything similar, how long (and how much it cost) to get into New York by cab and what you did to pass the time.

Any comments/suggestions gratefully received!

Only used JFK when I've been which has a train link and plenty of taxis. Not sure about Newark.

7.5 hours isn't too long. Take at least an hour off each way for travelling I'd have thought. Leaves 5 hours. You could see a few things in that time. Probably best idea would be to jump on a tour bus for a whistlestop tour!

Alternatively go to Z1 Auto to meet Adam and Kwame and be in Zed heaven! :lol:

Google maps suggests ~30 minutes without traffic and 70 mins with.

Either way, I'd give it a go and hit the Empire State for the views and one or two of their top dept stores for the shopping ...

I'd defo find time to go to the hotel 'Le Parker Meridien' - it had a Burger Bar which apparently is the best there is ... !