Feathering Question

perold

As I understand it (from the FAQ topic somewhere round here), Feathering refers to excessive wear on the OUTSIDE of the front tyres. I've just checked mine this morning and although there's 2mm+ on the outside, the inside inch or so of both fronts is virtually bald, ie. the opposite of what I'd expect.

Is this feathering (and hence fixable under warranty ?). I've checked the TSB for this and unless I'm missing something it doesn't mention inside or outside ???

Guest prescience

I have just re-checked and the TSB refers only to a variation between outer and inner tread depths. I have heard of the greater wear being on both outside and inside and as I say TSB refers to variation (0.45mm and 0.6 mm are mentioned).

In order for you to get past first base, warranty-wise, you need to check that the Bridgestone tyre code contains KZ (older tread pattern) rather than XZ (newer); then once you can show sufficient variation in wear (as you can seemingly), you have a strong hand for replacement.

Just had my front tyres change due to feathering. You probably already know that it’s identifiable by a heavy tyre noise at speeds below 30mph (mine worst at around 20mph)

The problem can be felt by running your finger around the outside edge of the tyre. If the tyre is affected then you can feel slight steps as you cross the tread gap.

I took my car in about 6 months ago with the noise complaint and was told it was due to running on Bridgestone’s. Following good advice from Dorian and others in the forum I took it in again with a copy of the TSB issued in the states and they sprung into action straight away. I’m convinced the dealer was aware of the true cause of the problem on the first occasion but was under instructions to fob complainants off unless the TSB was mentioned.

Dicky

Its a strange one with both Perold & Dicky's statements, I'll share my experiences - I had a chat to my local stealers about a few issues yesterday and also mentioned the tyre feathering. I'm not sure what code of Bridgestones were on mine cos I've changed em now but the stealer did note that there was uneven wear on the fronts at the last service. They tried to say that there was nothing about any feathering issues with the 350z, I explained that there was a TSB about it and they went away to have a chat. Came back and asked me where I knew about it from cos they couldn't find it on Nissan computer, and I told them it didn't matter how I knew, if they weren't sure they could speak to Middlehurst in St Helens who knew about it (thanks everyone who's mentioned this before btw!), went away for another chat and then came back with a lot of info about something that they apparently knew nothing about (utter bo****ks that part then). They went on to explain that although it was a batch of tyres that were causing the problems on the affected cars there was also some "very very minor" adjustments that need to be made to the tracking but this would only be covered under warranty if the offending tyres were also sent back. So I'd say that if you've got some issues with feathering, or to be honest even if you haven't, it may well be worth getting a tracking check done anyway.

Interesting. When Middlehursts did my 18k service (six months ago) they did mention they had adjusted the tracking. This wasn't mentioned in the context of feathering or any other problems though - I just assumed it had gone out in the normal course of things.

Maybe the excessive wear I'm now seeing is as a result of the tracking having been set wrong for the first 18k miles.

Not sure I want another set of Potenzas anyway :dry:

Interesting. When Middlehursts did my 18k service (six months ago) they did mention they had adjusted the tracking. This wasn't mentioned in the context of feathering or any other problems though - I just assumed it had gone out in the normal course of things.

Maybe the excessive wear I'm now seeing is as a result of the tracking having been set wrong for the first 18k miles.

Not sure I want another set of Potenzas anyway :dry:

Might be worth asking them mate, like you say though you don't want to end up with another set of 'stones (unless as Liam has pointed out you're gonna sell your wheels at some point)