350Z European Road Trip. Stelvio Pass etc....

PaulR

I've done two trips to Selvio by car, it was when I owned my Puma 1.7 - I have yet to do the trip in my 350Z but really want to do so. I did use the Alpineroads.com web site and it was recommended by a motor cycle rider with whom I was working with.

In 2006 I drove from the UK to Lecco for the Italian GP at Monza in early September. On the drive home (with a fully laden car) I went out via Stelvio. The following shots are all approaching from Bormio. Unfortunately, I took a turn off the road and went down a side road (Via Umbrail) to Santa Maria Val Mustair. It was interesting in that a lot of it was a gravel road with very few barriers (which is not good for someone who suffers from vertigo) and there were large camper vans going up it. The road between Colico to Sondrio on the way to Bromio was very slow moving traffic.

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

In 2007 I also drove to Lecco for the Italian F1 race (early September). I entered Italy via the Brenner Pass. While I was near Munich I saw that it has been snowing in the Tyrol area. Italy was warm and sunny. I made a separate day trip just to get to Stelvio. The lower stages (as show in the previous year) were all nice and dry.

IMG_0598.jpg

As I approached the top of the pass it all changed. The following is the view down the pass towards Trafoi.

IMG_0609-1.jpg

I'd recommend a drive through this pass to anyone. Just be wary of the nutters driving vans and 4x4s who like to take the 'racing line' through the harpins - finding one of these in the middle of the road is not fun.....