Tappets

nickw

Hi Guys,

I think I might have a problem with my tappets as my car is a little noisy at the moment. Has anyone experienced any similar problems and if so how easy is it to rectify and what is the cost?

I am in London and if anyone lives nearby and could possibly diagnose the problem for me that would be quality.

Cheers

Nick

Hi Guys,

I think I might have a problem with my tappets as my car is a little noisy at the moment. Has anyone experienced any similar problems and if so how easy is it to rectify and what is the cost?

I am in London and if anyone lives nearby and could possibly diagnose the problem for me that would be quality.

Cheers

Nick

Tappet clearances can be checked in situ but to adjust you need the cams off and to get the cams off you need the heads off and the best way to remove the heads is to take the engine out.

The heads can be removed with the engine in situ but it is very fiddly and there is a big risk of oil leaks afterwords.

I have done it both ways and I now remove engines every time.

Good news is, I doubt that it is a tappet noise that you have.

Other common engine noises on the VQ35 are fuel dampers.

Alex.