Tracker required for insurance" & poll for insuranc

davecarter

I am considering buying a an import and I know the differences between the cars. However at the moment I am getting insurance quotes for UK cars of a minimum of £450, but when it comes to import cars the insurance is about £750. The next thing is they are asking for a tracker system to be fitted? As far as I am aware this system costs about £400 to install but also has an on going annual cost of about £120. So this amounts to about an annual additional cost of £450!

I know the car will be cheeper compared to the UK equivilent say £4k but in the end when I come to sell the car I will get less for it.

Has anyone got a good insurance quote that does not require a tracker system.

Thanks again Dave...

I am considering buying a an import and I know the differences between the cars. However at the moment I am getting insurance quotes for UK cars of a minimum of £450, but when it comes to import cars the insurance is about £750. The next thing is they are asking for a tracker system to be fitted? As far as I am aware this system costs about £400 to install but also has an on going annual cost of about £120. So this amounts to about an annual additional cost of £450!

I know the car will be cheeper compared to the UK equivilent say £4k but in the end when I come to sell the car I will get less for it.

Has anyone got a good insurance quote that does not require a tracker system.

Thanks again Dave...

The thing with imports is that you buy cheap and sell cheap. My concern is that in 3/4 yrs time uk cars will be £12/13k and imports about £8k cos the uk will be flooded with uk zeds, nobody will want an import. Saying that I suppose the same will apply. Why by a £12k zed when you can get one for £8k. You will lose money full stop, but more on an import.

The reason why insurers wants a tracker on an import is cos if it gets stolen they will have to source a replacement import for you which is a whole lotta hassle for them compared to a uk zed :scare:

I am with Churchill and pay £480 for my import, they don’t ask for a tracker, and only difference between a UK and Import, is the import does not have an immobilizer fitted as standard, you will need to have one fitted, I had an Thatcham Cat.1 immobilizer and alarm fitted with auto door lock for £240.

The insurance issue I think is more to do with their computer systems not recognizing pre dated cars, as they can only see on their screen that the roadster goes back to 2004 (when the car was launched in the UK), but you are asking to insure a 2003 car !!!!!

The same for the coupe.

just shop around, there are are a lot of people on this site that actually got their JDM spec insured cheaper than a UK one!!

Try and find one that doesnt insist on a tracker.. you,ll never recover the money laid out no matter what discounts they offer.

Dont be frightened of buying a JDM spec car virtually all parts are the same and Nissan dealers are only too willing to service them, but from what I read on this site you,d probably be best to avoid them and use an Independant garage.. :thumbs: