How half an inch can cost £250!

SunGodRA

See pic...

250quid.jpg

I posted this ages ago - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17054 and at the time I had just lost my job, so did nothing about it, until this week (got a new job now!).

After speaking to many people about having no pressure on my clutch pedal (the pedal just fell to the floor) everyone agreed it was just a simple clutch bleed required. I attempted this on my own, but bottled it - im slightly claustrophobic and panicked under the car with only a couple of axel stands preventing me getting crushed! :surrender:

So I got the car towed away and was quoted £125 for a clutch bleed, which included slide/tilt recovery truck - so I was delighted! Then came the bad news - my mechanic said that it wasnt a bleed, and infact the clutch fork had snapped and the gear box needed removal to fix (panic!! - this is gonna cost loads more than £125!!!! - and I am skint, havent even started new job yet!) He quoted a minimum of £250 labour + parts.

That day I called Nissan and asked them how much a clutch fork would be - I was told about £50 - he asked for my VIN - and was then told because it was an early import, there has never been a clutch fork sold in this country as it was different to UK versions - he checked computer - infact there has never been one sold in Europe, and I would have to get one from Japan!!! - suffice to say, more panic ensued!

A day later my mechanic called - they had removed gear box to find it wasnt the clutch fork, it was simply a bolt that had sheered from the ball joint connecting to the fork - they had fixed it and the car was ready to collect!

Total cost including slide/tilt recovery was £250 - whilst it was double the price I had expected, and considering the fault was a half inch sheered bolt, I am very pleased with the service I received and price paid. I would like to endorse the people that did this work, but before I do - do you guys think that was a good price for the work done (bare in mind gearbox removal takes ages on a ZED)?

Dave

ps - Im back and its mod time!! :teeth:

Well worth it :thumbs: . Did they inspect the clutch while the box was off?

The clutch was new from Big Phil and had only done less that 500 miles when the problem occured - my mechanic said it was fine and not related etc

ps - I am desperate to endorse these guys on here, because they are the only Jap performance car tuners that I know in Kent - but I wont mention their name until you agree I got a good price for the work done etc

Good price but I hope that they replaced the broken fulcrum pin with an after market heavy duty one. :thumbs:

Yes - they did :clap:

SO here is my endorsement:

Kai Performance

http://www.kaiperformance.co.uk/ (ignore website - its all being re-written at the moment)

Unit 5 Mill Hall Business Estate

Aylesford

Maidstone

Kent ME20 7JZ

01622 718088

Ask for Warren - I will negotiate a club discount when I speak to him tomorrow

Dave