What's the best/worst car advice you have received

dcash5

A bit of a silly topic but should entertain you, After this topic about the dealers in Didcot.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23635

I was wondering what daft piece of advice you have been given on your car that made you laugh...

I think my two fav's i have been told are:

After enquiring about a low entry jack in halfords Guildford and them being unable to supply one, I was offered the advise to grab the front wheel arch, lift it up and kick the jack underneath! - I think I actually laughed out loud when they told me this.

Second one was someone trying to convince me that grooved brake discs were designed to warm the brake pads up quicker...

... come on lets hear yours!

My dad took his Primera to Budget to see if he could get his rear tracking done as the tyres were feathering on the inner edge. The "mechanic" said there was no adjustment on the rear and that the tyres must have come off the front of the car (the tyres had only ever been on the rear).

He then proceeded to rub his hand over the treads and say they had definately come off the front as he could feel the way they had worn and could tell they had been on the driven wheels :clap::wacko: Needless to say we've never been back there :lol:

Not really a piece of advise but I had someone come to view my previous car to buy it, which was totally immaculate (pretty much like new). After his son ragged the nuts off it on a "test drive" :rant: (who apparently was a "property developer who had an M3" - yer right), his posh old man decided it wasn't a good enough quality and started telling me (very rudely) that my drivers side door had been resprayed and that the car had obviously been in a crash and I am trying to cover it up. Plus the brake pads are off and declined to show me why he had come to this conclusion (he had never driven it - his spoilt son did). Needless to say I stood their both truely stunned and extremely angry that someone would ever suggest something like this when all i ever seemed to do with the car was clean it non stop and drive ridiculously carefully. And I had to take a day off work for them to come and view it.

I wouldn't had sold him the car even if he offered me twice the amount! Fortunately I sold it to a chap who really appreciated my efforts of looking after it and had a beaming smile from ear to ear - very happy it went to the right home. :)

Worst bit of 'advice' I ever had was someone from work who told me that if you buy a new car on finance you don't lose any money. I asked how and they said that each time they have been back to part exchange their new car 3 years after buying it the dealer gavethem a new car and they paid the same each month. I was dumbstruck and managed to get a fumbled 'thanks for the advice' out. :headhurt: