A few qu's before buying a JDM

rickya

I'm going to view a UK landed JDM which has been here for 6 months & have a few questions which I would be very grateful for some help on. :thumbs:

1)Are the SVA douments in addition to MoT docs or will there be no MOT docs.

2)Will it have a UK V5 log book.

3)Will I be able to see or have the Japanese export documentation. (including report i.e 4.5BB etc) Will this state how many owners in Japan the car had.

4)Will the UK V5 log book show how many Japanese owners it had.

5)How do I know by looking at documentation that the mileage is genuine.

6)If I do a HPI etc check from e.g. the RAC will this be of any use as it a JDM car. What if there are loans outstanding on this car in Japan or if the car has been declared a write off in Japan.

Apologies for asking so many questions but I am a little apprehensive about spending all my hard earned dough on something I am new to. Any advice appreciated.

I'm going to view a UK landed JDM which has been here for 6 months & have a few questions which I would be very grateful for some help on. :thumbs:

1)Are the SVA douments in addition to MoT docs or will there be no MOT docs.

2)Will it have a UK V5 log book.

3)Will I be able to see or have the Japanese export documentation. (including report i.e 4.5BB etc) Will this state how many owners in Japan the car had.

4)Will the UK V5 log book show how many Japanese owners it had.

5)How do I know by looking at documentation that the mileage is genuine.

6)If I do a HPI etc check from e.g. the RAC will this be of any use as it a JDM car. What if there are loans outstanding on this car in Japan or if the car has been declared a write off in Japan.

Apologies for asking so many questions but I am a little apprehensive about spending all my hard earned dough on something I am new to. Any advice appreciated.

1--there will be an MOT,may be two one with chassis no. only and another with reg no.

2--should have UK V5 log book if it hasnt walk away!!

3--doubtfull you,ll get this, you may get a "Tentative Defunct Registration certificate for Export/Eport certificate" this shows previous owner in Japan( doesnt tell you much just chassis no,type of vehicle etc..)wont tell you how many owners though

4--V5 will only tell how many UK owners inc importer

5-- you dont , look at Jap service history and try and asertain if it is correct..but just go by condition of car, mats seats,pedal rubbers etc..very difficult to even decipher Jap dates as they dont use the same system as us, (dates go from last emporers death or start of reign ??? :scare: ) may however have whats called a Bimta certificate that will give you confidence that mileage etc is all as stated... but just use common sense if it looks wrong, it ill be wrong !! bear in mind that in my experience Jap imports are in the main very lightly used and low mileage (coupled with good condition is the norm ) and usually year for year they are generally better in the bodywork dept than their UK counterparts..

6-- HPI is esential as it will show anything amiss in the UK history , outstanding finance ,accident damage , stolen etc, but will not show Jap history , If is has a Bimta cert (as mentioned before ) that will hopefully appease any fears on the Jap side of things... but I think in the Main any imports recently into England are very well vetted before they hit these shores !... hope this helps someway..

I wouldnt get too hung up on asking for loads of paperwork that may not be there ,so long as it is taxed and MOT,d and the V5 is available and your happy with the car go for it, Oh but do an HPI check :thumbs: nice if you get both keys , and original Jap instruction book and service history , you wont be able to make head nor tail of it but looks good when you come to sell again :)

Thanks a lot Lomoto :yahoo:

Should I walk away if it does not have A Bimta Certificate?

Is it quite important to have the Jap service history?

Ricky.

lets put it this way , I bought mine with no Bimta cert !!., but mine only had 12000 miles on the clock and it looked like it had done a lot less ., and whilst not being a deal breaker theres no reason why a fairly new car shouldnt still have its original service history , but as I said before very difficult to make it out, mine has it, but I still think I would have bought it if it wasnt present

Price and condition are probably more important than Jap paperwork that you cant understand !..and of course having complete confidence in the seller ;)B)

Ask for the auction details that show the mileage and condition at sale this is a grading system and shows how good the car is (body).

I would ask for a BIMTA as that only costs £15 and tracks the cat through the auctions (mine had been through 3 auctions and the mileage matched each time.

Most cars from Japan are low mileage and well maintained, I would trust the condition and mileage over a UK car that is 3-4 years old,

One point to remember get it serviced in the UK ASAP as this starts the UK service book (you can get a UK book and Nissan will stamp it)