Advice on practice amp

Rentech

Hi All,

Currently just starting my current fad of learning to play the guitar. As my fads don't always last that long I was looking for a small practice amp to go with a second hand guitar I just picked up. Although I work with a master bass player, it would be good to get other views on what to go for and maybe what to avoid

Cheers

Assuming you've got no idea really what sound you're after yet, I'd be very tempted to stick with something from Peavey. They're not the greatest name in guitar amplification, but you will get a fair amount of bang for your buck along with a sound that's pretty flexible. I currently use a Bandit 112 which is probably way overkill for your needs, but it suits me very well for anything from classic rock to metal, although it's happiest when I'm playing something with a more average rather than extreme sound (think Foo Fighters etc).

Tbh you're best off going down to your local music place and having a play with various stuff down there using your own guitar, then at least you'll know exactly what it'll sound like. Doesn't matter if you can't play for peanuts, just give the sales guy the guitar and let him demo it for you while you listen. If you really want to go cheap and cheerful then there's always the option of one of those £50 mini-mini Marshall things and plugging a decent set of headphones into it, no good for jamming though.

Value for money practice amp, i reckon you'll struggle to beat one of the Line6 Spider range, this one should be ideal for you...

http://line6.com/spideriii15/

I recently started playing again after a 6year break having sold off my gigging rig and practice gear, so had to start again and was blown away by the quality of tones and value for money the little SpiderIII 15watt amp gave....so much so i sold it on after only 4weeks to upgrade to a Line6 Spider Jam amp ( http://line6.com/spiderjam/ ) which is awesome for more advanced bedroom practice.

As for cost, you can get the Line6 Spider III 15watt amp for under £80 delivered !!

Left Click ;)