Clonking from rear of transmission

Chris Ellis

Hi

Just started driving a 2004 uk Z and am having difficulty changing gear without getting a clonking from the rear end when I come off the power and depress the clutch?

Worst in first gear and with more revs, I have to come gently and completely off the juice before starting to depress the clutch.

In the other gears its ok so long as i am smooth.

It sound like a problem I had with an old TVR where the rear diff was mounted on (shot) rubber mounts allowing it to swing against the chassis, but surely Nissans are better screwed together than a Blackpool pig!

Any other suggestions

Chris

Hi Thanks for your thoughts.

I am pretty sure it is not normal, I don't think most drivers could put up with it

The gearbox is pretty clunky but feels solid for it, and I do somtimes get a clicking from the back but this is somthing quite different.

The exhaust seemed like a good possible but having been out and given it a shake it seems rock solid and silent.

So I have booked it in at the dealer next Tue for their man to have a listen.

Thanks again

Chris

Hi Thanks for your thoughts.

I am pretty sure it is not normal, I don't think most drivers could put up with it

The gearbox is pretty clunky but feels solid for it, and I do somtimes get a clicking from the back but this is somthing quite different.

The exhaust seemed like a good possible but having been out and given it a shake it seems rock solid and silent.

So I have booked it in at the dealer next Tue for their man to have a listen.

Thanks again

Chris

What was the problem in the end?

Nothing aperently!

When the technition took it out initially he could not fault the car, and was actually quite complimentary about its condition generally.

I took him out and demonstrated the noise which he could clearly hear, he felt it could be any component in the transmission with a little bit of play in it, just suggested I drive a bit more gently and go back if it deteriorates.

So happy no imediate spend required but I am pretty convinced that if I drove another car it would not make the same noise.

Nothing aperently!

When the technition took it out initially he could not fault the car, and was actually quite complimentary about its condition generally.

I took him out and demonstrated the noise which he could clearly hear, he felt it could be any component in the transmission with a little bit of play in it, just suggested I drive a bit more gently and go back if it deteriorates.

So happy no imediate spend required but I am pretty convinced that if I drove another car it would not make the same noise.

Really annoying when you cannot find what the problem is. Hope you get to the bottom of the problem before it gets worse.