Warranty

Anubis

Hey guys,

I've always wondered about warranty from dealers other than Nissan. Lets say I buy a zed from 'Mr Zed's Car Shop' and I get 12 months warranty with it - if it breaks, who do I go to? Would the warranty be set up to go to Nissan, or would it be just 'Mr Zed's Car Shop' that would fix it?

I need to know, because if I ask for 12 months warranty from a trader other than Nissan, and its 100+ miles away wouldn't it be kind of pointless if only that branding of garage could fix it under the agreement? How does it work?

:wacko:

There are many companies that offer warranties, I will quote you one of my experiences. I bought a TR7 ( :lol: ) many years ago from an independant. The engine went and the warranty company covered the replacement by BL. It went again and BL had to fork out.

You may have heard of the great outcry bu Porsche owners when they had the warranty pulled from under their feet. I know for a fact that many owners now have a Tesco extended warranty which covers more points than the porsche one.

Just check what is covered, like any policy its down to the details, provided it covers a fair amount of the car excluding things like brakes it will be fine.

As a rule you go back to the people you buy from who will have bought in the warranty from a third party :)

So, wouldn't it be easier to just get warranty for the car yourself and go to any garage you wanted to get it fixed (kind of like insurance- the warranty company pays out to have the cost of repairs done). I can honestly say that I won't be going 100+ miles to get my car fixed from a random independent trader - this is why I am questioning the whole getting warranty issue.

Zeds seem very reliable, its just stuff like the clutch, etc I am concerned about - I don't want everyone's nightmare of forking out thousands after 3 months ownership due to a random dodgy component or two. I want to at least enjoy the car with no worries for a good few months until I get comfortable and be safe in the knowledge that I know the likelyhood of certain things going wrong - pretty much like all new owners.

Warranty direct wouldn't pay for my power steering leak in the oil cooler, nuff said - WAFT - now cancelled warranty, can't be arsed with the upset if they don't pay out! I think the only warranty that ever works is the manufacturers from new!