Bose left speaker cut out (fixed, see new thread)

HampshireRob

Does anyone know what the real cause is? Lots of speculation from the threads here and in the US but nothing concrete - amazed no one has got stuck in yet with an electronics bias.

Possible causes I've read (all speculation though):

1. Damaged or poor connection on ribbon between cd transport and main board (possible).

2. Faulty laser pick-up. Personally, I doubt this is it as stereo is encoded into a PCM signal read from the CD and seperated later by the audio processing bits.

3. Failing left channel amp component on main board. Again, not sure it's possible as it cuts in and out with hard breaking (mine does). This isn't the behaviour of a failing component.

4. Poorly soldered joint (possible).

5. Broken track on an internal PCB layer (possible - and most likely unrepairable).

6. One of the vias through the PCB has a poor connection to a top/bottom track (possible).

7. Moisture causing corrosion on some of the exposed tracks/pins/components (possible but unlikely).

I guess the only guys that know at the moment are Clarion.

Some of the engineers at work are keen to have a look (i'm software myself) - loads of test kit here - i'll let you know if we get anywhere...got to take it out first and live withought the radio - might take a few weeks to get round to it.

I know I could just throw it in the bin but the engineer in me insists on knowing the reason...sorry if it's dragging up old news.

P.S. Take it no one has access to a circuit diagram? that would give an answer in no time.

There was a firm on here (a Clarion repair place) that could repair them I think. Not sure if it was covering the left speaker cut out or the skippy CDs they fixed (or both). They may be able to give you a definitive answer :)

Think Mike has their details IIRC.

There was a firm on here (a Clarion repair place) that could repair them I think. Not sure if it was covering the left speaker cut out or the skippy CDs they fixed (or both). They may be able to give you a definitive answer :)

Think this is it Chris ;)

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15272

Think this is it Chris ;)

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15272

That would be it, aye :thumbs:

I was looking for an engineer's approach to fixing the Bose - sending it back to Clarion and handing over £275 is a bit too defeatist for me.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've identified the problem from looking at other Nissan forums in the US. Probably spend this/next weekend doing the fix. Looks like a ~3 hour job which is why Clarion are charging a relatively high price (covering ~3 hours of labour). Parts (if you replace the cable which you probably don't need to) are going to be ~20p.

I'll keep you posted.

I was looking for an engineer's approach to fixing the Bose - sending it back to Clarion and handing over £275 is a bit too defeatist for me.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've identified the problem from looking at other Nissan forums in the US. Probably spend this/next weekend doing the fix. Looks like a ~3 hour job which is why Clarion are charging a relatively high price (covering ~3 hours of labour). Parts (if you replace the cable which you probably don't need to) are going to be ~20p.

I'll keep you posted.

you might be setting up business soon then with a influx of Bose HU's that need repairing :thumbs::teeth:

I wasnt saying send it to Clarion, I was saying ask those guys (who happen to be called Clarion Service, but I dont think they are Clarion themselves) what they do to fix it. Glad you seem to have found the culprit though, will be good to see if you can fix it :thumbs:

Well,

I took the Bose out this morning and spent a couple of hours completely stripping it down. It was a bit of a pain in the ass but the conclusion is....

...it's now fixed! No left channel speaker cutting out.

Let there be rock :band:

When I get some time (~20 pictures to explain it) i'll do a write-up. For those interested in what causes it...

...it's the ribbon cable between the CD transport and one of the audio daughter-boards.