Power steering oil cooler has sprung a leak..help!

sprevett

Ok so this is probably just punishment for driving the TVR too much, the Z has developed a leaky oil cooler - apparently producing oil mist & a dribble from one of the welds. My service chap says it's unlikely to have suffered a knock and is likely to be just a poorly made unit. Anyone else had one go? Nice man at Holdcroft reckons over £400 to get a Nissan replacement :scare::scare::scare:

Ok so this is probably just punishment for driving the TVR too much, the Z has developed a leaky oil cooler - apparently producing oil mist & a dribble from one of the welds. My service chap says it's unlikely to have suffered a knock and is likely to be just a poorly made unit. Anyone else had one go? Nice man at Holdcroft reckons over £400 to get a Nissan replacement :scare::scare::scare:

Nice man in Scotland could save you a fortune :thumbs:

Preowned 9000 mile pas oil cooler and brand new hoses available.

pm for details if required.

Cheers,

Alex.

I had this problem recently mate. Do you know exactly where the leak is coming from? I had a leak from the top of the hose as a jubilee clip had worn a bit, so I replaced it and problem fixed for nothing. Squarehead had a leaky PAS pump and he fixed it by finding an aluminium welder.

Get your front bumper off and have a look :thumbs:

Join the club - I had this about 1 month ago, in my case it wasn't the hoses it was the bottom pipe into the cooler.

I'm afraid it's bumper off job :p But worth the pain if you can either get a replacement of ZMANALEX or like me get the existing cooler spot welded by a local company. NB. It's made of aluminium.

Nissan also quoted me circa £400 and it was on a 6 week back order!!!

thanks squarehead - it looks like the bottom pipe seam weld that's cracked - maybe it's a stress point that gets too much flex? the dealer has now quoted £140 for a replacement but yes long delays/on back order etc etc - but thankfully I have a trusty TVR to keep me mobile! :teeth: - I also have the offer of a S/H unit if I get desperate.

Good luck mate! If you keep an eye on the fluid level you can always top it up if it isn't leaking too much - might make a temporary fix for a short time.

If you do decide to go ahead, it's dead easy to remove the bumper (no need to jack the car up!) and remove the part :thumbs:

update; brand new cooler arrived early from Nissan - £130 odd quid so not bad in the end. it looks like they have 'improved' them as the new one is different to the old one, will try and get a photo of them both to post to compare and contrast.. :D