Fingers crossed...

MattMe

Hiya folks.

Picked up my new '04 GT this week with 40k on the clock.

Just took it out for a quick spin and noticed something I hadn't during the test drive. The brake pedal seems to have a lot of movement and spongy feel on first depression, then if I lift and press again they are much firmer and perform better. My first thought was that they might have air in the lines and need bleeding or the fluid replacing. But could it be anything else before I spend any time doing that?

Noticed while looking through the service history that on the last service (P3, 6k ago) it stated that the front pads had around 4k left in them and 2k in the rears, so guess it's time to change!

Could worn pads cause this extra movement in the pedal?

Also, does the P3 or any other service include replacing the brake fluid?

Lots of questions!

Cheers...

Also worth noting that the inner rear pad has a habbit of disintigrating which you cant see without removing the pads themselves. Also being an 04, if they've never changed them (should have done for 40k) then they might be old enough to just disintergrate anyway!

But does sound like air in the system. Make sure you follow the correct procedure in the service manual, its not exactly the same as any normal car. Download is around here somewhere, give it a search :thumbs:

Just checked the service receipt and it looks like the brake fluid was changed a year ago, about 6k miles. So that shouldn't be too bad, a bit concerning that it's got air in it somehow, unless it's been like that since the service and the previous guy never noticed :wacko:

I'll check the pads out visually but I'm guessing going on what it said on the last service they'll be more than ready for a change.

Which leads me to ask.... Brake pads:

I was very close to buying some yellow stuff pads based on the fact I thought they were supposed to be high spec pads and they seem to be fairly cheap, but after flicking through the forum looks like it might not be best to get those...

I have looked through a few posts but still not sure what to go for. I'm not doing any track days and don't want to end up with race spec pads that require warming up loads before they work well, and not looking to spend a fortune. Should I go OEM or is it actually worth spending the extra on Ferodo or Envy pads? I do drive 'enthusiastically' at times, but won't be tracking the car...

Cheers guys.