Pc type install - PROGRESS UPDATE

Nick U

Hey guys,

Right having seen a few on here and read a little bit about it I fancy having a go at putting a screen in the cubby hole and conecting a pc to it among various others bits.

Now I realise that this is no easy job, but still, if I dont try I will never know.

I have a retractable cubby already installed so I guess firstly I need some sort of screen. Did some searching on e-bay and found these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170303201797

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lilliput-EBY701-7-Touch-screen-LCD-VGA-PC-MONITOR_W0QQitemZ170303201796QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Video_Navigation?hash=item170303201796&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LILLIPUT-7-Vga-Touch-Screen-Display-619GL-70NP-C_W0QQitemZ110360426750QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP?hash=item110360426750&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Are these the sort of screens I should be looking for or would you advise something else?

Any help much appriciated :thumbs:

619GL-70NP/C (3rd one) is very similar to the one I have. You will need to remove the outer casing to make it flush fit, but its pretty easy to disasemble if you are competant at DIY. The main thing to check (via MP3car.com forums most likely) is that you can make the screen come on when power is supplied. Otherwise you have to press the button. Usually you can enable this through the service menu.

Looks like you are on the right track, but its been a while since I installed mine, so may want to check out mp3car.com for the latest models. The newest ones come with transflexive screens which means they are much easier to read in sunlight, which is one problem I have with mine.

HTH :thumbs:

I have the Lilliput 629 in my cubby sat on my desk, waiting for a car PC! It fits a dream. Havent got any pics of it installed, but this is what it looks like in bits!

To fit it i cut (with a Dremel) the original plastic screw taps from the back piece and then bonded (glued) them to the back of the cubby. You can then use the existing the metal tabs to fasten it onto the cubby. I then used some sticky 3M pads to attached the PCBs to the back of the screen. Am just trying to work out the best way of retaining the use of the buttons as i want to be able to flick between inputs (carPC to DVD head unit).

1236430633_DSC00393.jpg

1236430633_DSC00397.jpg

1236430633_DSC00403.jpg

Good luck mate

Am just trying to work out the best way of retaining the use of the buttons as i want to be able to flick between inputs (carPC to DVD head unit).

If you do a search for 350z installs, on here and MP3car you will find an install where they flushed the buttons into the bit of plastic that goes from the front of the cubby back to the screen. Looks wicked :thumbs:

The other thing you can try, is some of the Lilliputs allow you to switch to composite when there is a signal on it. So it stays on VGA, but when say the reverse cam kicks in it auto switches. Might work with the DVD perhaps.

Yup, as they are not main stream, installers charge a premium, for what I've seen as very poor spec PCs. Bang for buck, a Mac Mini is perfect for CarPCs if you have that much money to spend. Most start with an old laptop or PC and go from there.

That in-carpc site looks interesting (Nice and local to me to). Some good info on there.

I guess to keep the cost down best to make my own. Going to hide it away somewhere so it doesn't need to look good. Will have to do lots of research into making it though as I dont know the first thing about building computers.

What sort of software do you have to run on these things then? I have head of Centrafuse, anygood? Any other options? Also is the software available for free?

I really just want to be able to have sat-nav and the option to blutouth my phone and have internet evertually.

That in-carpc site looks interesting (Nice and local to me to). Some good info on there.

I guess to keep the cost down best to make my own. Going to hide it away somewhere so it doesn't need to look good. Will have to do lots of research into making it though as I dont know the first thing about building computers.

What sort of software do you have to run on these things then? I have head of Centrafuse, anygood? Any other options? Also is the software available for free?

I really just want to be able to have sat-nav and the option to blutouth my phone and have internet evertually.

This seems like this could be a very big step for you to take especially with your very little experience in the area.

First step would to draw up a plan with everything you want to achieve then set out on getting the bits. A bit of advice dont skimp on the monitor....you can get cheap chinese knock offs but the quality is very poor.

check out this site

http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=319&category_id=49&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

That would be your best bet for your first entry into this area. I brought my monitor from them and are very reliable.

there's a couple of us on here with pcs in there car and we are here with any help you require.

Especially Chris'l

That seems like a fairly decent bit of kit for the price Nurrish. All other advice given above is sound too :thumbs:

Software wise, CF is the way to go. It does cost money, but its worth it as it actually works and you get good support! Other software out there is a lot more involed in setting up.

Nurrish, Chris,

Cheers fellas........no doubt i'll be back with more questions, thaks for your help so far.

Im under no illusions that this wont be easy, but i do have a family member that has a little experience with this, so heres hoping! This one could take a little while though as I want it to be just right.

I'll let you know how I get on. :thumbs:

I have a fair bit of experience with PCs and the like, so feel free to drop me any questions you may have. Will also be installing my system in the next couple of months and since i'm only in Bristol, you're welcome to have a look at what i'm upto if you like.

I have a fair bit of experience with PCs and the like, so feel free to drop me any questions you may have. Will also be installing my system in the next couple of months and since i'm only in Bristol, you're welcome to have a look at what i'm upto if you like.

Your a star, will probably take you up on that one. Looking at ordering some parts this week to hopefully start this weekend. Although the package deal on carcomputer is very tempting, may well go down that route and get it all at once.

You'll probably finish it before i do!! Project is on hold at the moment due to ridiculous work load consuming every waking minute of my life...

If I get anything done i'll give you a shout so you can have a look.....

• 3 weeks later...
How's the install going?

Just got my hands on an old laptop and bought a carnetix PSU and Globalsat GPS receiver, will let you know how they all fit together once i receive them.

Nice one bud, what PSU and GPS did you get? Hope the GPS has a SIRFIII chip ;) If you want any hints on where to install and run wires, give me a shout, theres a nice grommit through from the battery to the passenger footwell, and the GPS reciever fits nicely hidden under the rear strut bar cover if you place it right B)

How's the install going?

Just got my hands on an old laptop and bought a carnetix PSU and Globalsat GPS receiver, will let you know how they all fit together once i receive them.

Nice one bud, what PSU and GPS did you get? Hope the GPS has a SIRFIII chip ;) If you want any hints on where to install and run wires, give me a shout, theres a nice grommit through from the battery to the passenger footwell, and the GPS reciever fits nicely hidden under the rear strut bar cover if you place it right B)

+1 under the rear strut is an excellent place for the gps. I just had to take mine out of the plastic shell.

I have a SirfII chip and have no problems what so ever with satellite reception

How's the install going?

Cheers mate, i might just take you up on that. Will see how i get on.

I went for the Globalsat Bu353 which is SirfIII (it seemed pretty popular on mp3car.com, thought i'd go with the safe option!)

Got a mother of an install to do though, new screen, rectrable cubby, head unit, laptop, psu, gps, portable dvd drive, wheel controller converter... I think it's gonna take me a while!

I went for the Globalsat Bu353 which is SirfIII (it seemed pretty popular on mp3car.com, thought i'd go with the safe option!)

Thats what I have. Excellent reception and quick lock time. I had a SIRFII for ages and always thought it was the carpc messing around with me not always getting a lock or it being very slow. Swapped it out for the BU353 and it was like night and day!

Thats what I have. Excellent reception and quick lock time. I had a SIRFII for ages and always thought it was the carpc messing around with me not always getting a lock or it being very slow. Swapped it out for the BU353 and it was like night and day!

Cheers for putting this up. Now if i ever get problems with my gps i know what to do for :thumbs:

This is causing me a headache! I have the Carnetix power supply which has 2 leads that you need to connect to the power button on the laptop, only problem is the laptop power button has 4 pins! Quite how i'm supposed to work out which pins to connect them to is beyond me!