Engine Groan?

relentless

Hi,

Now im not sure if this is just a normal sound or not as i always drive with the radio on but havent recently so i may just be hearing things....

When i decelerate quite harshly i can sort of hear a groan which sounds like its coming from the engine. Its def not brakes at it does it if just doing engine breaking. Like i say it could be just a normal sound but it just doesnt sound right to me. Just had oil changed.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Mark

ive tried to record the sound on my mobile but no good at all - too noisy!

Im not sure if this could be wheel bearing related? It kind of sounds like alot of road noise, and i can feel it vibrating - sort of like a rough dragging feel to it. Its only really noticeable during low speed, less than 20 mph. Breaking hard exagerates it. Cornering doesnt seem to make it worse.

The sound isnt really loud, its a deep low level sound if that makes sense.

As 3Fiddy says - i should really jack it up and turn the wheels, though does bearings sound likely? It only done 13k but its an 52 plate.

Failing that - tyres perhaps? Its still the original bridgestones on the front which i know are notorious for noise. Do you think its worth getting wheels aligned?...theres still loads of tread left.

• 3 months later...
i have this same noise you are describing did you find the cause? will have to do something about it next week i had thought it was normal until someone else drove my car and theres doesn't make the sound

havent got round to it still! i need someone to have a listen who knows about it really, so anyone in wolverhampton? :)

i have this same noise you are describing did you find the cause? will have to do something about it next week i had thought it was normal until someone else drove my car and theres doesn't make the sound

havent got round to it still! i need someone to have a listen who knows about it really, so anyone in wolverhampton? :)

hoping to drive nurrish's car this week to see the difference to mine, just checked the warranty i have with the car and it luckily covers wheel bearings so if it turns out to be that they should be covered ok, someone else said it might just be the bridgestones tyre noise

i'll report my findings

just came back from westway nissan, had their top guy road test and check over my car for this noise and it boils down to 2 things tyre wear on the front bridgestones and slightly rusted front disks on the outer edge.

Apparently it was a recall in the US on the tyres because of un-even wear but not in the uk !!

So 2 new falkens on the front and we are rolling !

the tyre issue was well known in the past. More than 2 years ago. Search for feathering or cupping on here. Bridgestone went and changed the tyre design and pattern number and Nissan also issued a change to the suspension to prevent this from happening. How old were the tyres. The sound from problem ones would sound more like a wheel bearing going and by feeling the outer tread edge of these tyres you can feel the uneven where on the tread.

Bridgestone tyre code contains KZ (older tread pattern) rather than XZ (newer). Nissan in the past did replace these under warranty in the UK.I had mine done. That was some time ago.

I'm not convinced by the mechanics diagnosis.

the tyre issue was well known in the past. More than 2 years ago. Search for feathering or cupping on here. Bridgestone went and changed the tyre design and pattern number and Nissan also issued a change to the suspension to prevent this from happening. How old were the tyres. The sound from problem ones would sound more like a wheel bearing going and by feeling the outer tread edge of these tyres you can feel the uneven where on the tread.

Bridgestone tyre code contains KZ (older tread pattern) rather than XZ (newer). Nissan in the past did replace these under warranty in the UK.I had mine done. That was some time ago.

I'm not convinced by the mechanics diagnosis.

the front tyres i'm guessing are the original tyres given the fact that its done 21k before me by a middle aged woman and they are on the limit, on the inside edge is where the wear is worst and when you spin the wheel off the grong you can feel the surface of the worn area all bumpy

• 2 weeks later...

just thought of an easy diagnostic test to rule out tyre noise....

....Find a nice flat field and drive at the same speed you would normally do to get the sound, if noise gone then its not the tyres!

Anyone see a problem with this - other than dog sh*t and dirt?!

:D

Mark