Exhaust swap!

StephenG

Ladies & Gentlemen, it's

pipeswap.gif

Today, myself and AngelZ (Gary) headed off to get our exhaust pipes changed. The reason? With my Supercharger, my Nismo was being unbearably loud. Likewise, Gary wanted something with a bit more 'grunt' than his Invidia GS200. So a straight swap between our two exhausts looked the right solution. Here's the story of our day...

Firstly, we turned up at elite garages in Mannings Heath. This is half way between myself in Brighton and Gary in London. Unfortunately, despite saying on the phone they could do this, they told Gary when he turned up (after 1 and a half hours sleep the night before. I'm not saying anything more than that) that they couldn't do it.

So, it was off to a local ATS - shut. After all, it is Sunday. But then G remembered he'd seen a Kwik Fit en route, and maybe they could swap our exhausts. So off to Horsham Kwik Fit we went.

swap00.jpg

But oh dear, they couldn't do it, as they only had 3 people in as one person was off sick. The sign was very accurate.

So off we went to Kwik Fit Crawley. And they said they could do it. Hooray!

swap01.jpg

Getting the car on this was NOT easy. Due to the front lip, I had to reverse it on. Guessworth and faith in plentiful supply.

swap02.jpg

Up goes G's...

swap04.jpg

Once on the lift, I could see why some of the other obstacles I should have previously reversed over...

swap05.jpg

Here's the bracket that holds the exhausts - in this picture, G's Dual Invidia.

swap06.jpg

Continued...

swap07.jpg

My Nismo came straight off, no problems. Not the case with the Invidia...!

swap08.jpg

Grunt, pull, swear, grunt...

swap09.jpg

Took 3 guys in the end.

swap10.jpg

After it came off, going on mine was straightforward. Thankfully the exhaust exits fitted my valance very well... sort of...

swap12.jpg

... because the actual box is touching the rear bumper. Some padding and fibreglass cutting will be needed to stop it rubbing.

swap13.jpg

The Nismo went on Gary's car, no problem.

swap14.jpg

As did the Indivia on mine - though it was just that little bit more fiddly, with the pair of pipes.

swap15.jpg

Fitting the bracket required us to get our hands dirty and help out. Here's Gary holding the bracket - though from the sweating, you'd think he was supporting the weight of the whole car :)

swap17.jpg

Down came the lifts, and off rolled the cars. A great job in the end, all for a very reasonable ton, with some sideways whistling.

swap18.jpg

We're both happy campers. My SC'd Z is that much more manageable noise wise, whereas Gary's Z has now got that throaty Jap-racer rasp to go with the style of his car. Results!

And for the record, here's my before:

swap03.jpg

And after:

swap16.jpg

:)