Finally got my Z - couple of questions...

matth76

Hi

I finally picked up my Z on Friday and am very happy with it. Excellent torque and power throughout the rev range and what a noise! Only thing I have noticed is that on high speeds I can hear the wind rustling in the driver window. The window drops fine when you open the door and then goes up as it should when you close the door. However I suspect the rubber seal is not quite air tight. Is this a "common issue" and fixable under warranty (ie technical service bulletin) or if not how easy is it for a garage to rectify?

Also, noticed the common issue of the front head lights fogging up - except its not condensation but the actual plastic furring up (bit of a weak point so I've heard), as other members have experienced. Im happy to put up with it but wouldn't mind sorting it in the future if it gets worse. Can you put the later "double/bi xenon" head light units on a 2005 model? If yes how much are each complete headlight and how many hours labour am I looking at to replace both? As I know some cars are much worse than others for simple things like replacing headlight units. Also how easy is it to replace individual headlight bulbs - can you simply pull out the bulb or bulb unit from the back of the headlight as on most cars or is it more involved?

The Z in azure blue certainly gets lots of attention! I'm sure this has been answered before but what do you guys use to protect your leather seats and wax your car to protect the paintwork? On previous cars I've used Meguires Carnuba "Gold" wax which has resulted in good shine and protection. Oh, final question where is the best place to get the bluetooth phone adapter?

Thanks for any info.

Hi

I finally picked up my Z on Friday and am very happy with it. Excellent torque and power throughout the rev range and what a noise! Only thing I have noticed is that on high speeds I can hear the wind rustling in the driver window. The window drops fine when you open the door and then goes up as it should when you close the door. However I suspect the rubber seal is not quite air tight. Is this a "common issue" and fixable under warranty (ie technical service bulletin) or if not how easy is it for a garage to rectify?

Also, noticed the common issue of the front head lights fogging up - except its not condensation but the actual plastic furring up (bit of a weak point so I've heard), as other members have experienced. Im happy to put up with it but wouldn't mind sorting it in the future if it gets worse. Can you put the later "double/bi xenon" head light units on a 2005 model? If yes how much are each complete headlight and how many hours labour am I looking at to replace both? As I know some cars are much worse than others for simple things like replacing headlight units. Also how easy is it to replace individual headlight bulbs - can you simply pull out the bulb or bulb unit from the back of the headlight as on most cars or is it more involved?

The Z in azure blue certainly gets lots of attention! I'm sure this has been answered before but what do you guys use to protect your leather seats and wax your car to protect the paintwork? On previous cars I've used Meguires Carnuba "Gold" wax which has resulted in good shine and protection. Oh, final question where is the best place to get the bluetooth phone adapter?

Thanks for any info.

I use Gummi pflege on my seals and it seems to keep things quiet.

Might be internally they are fogging, difficult to do anything without taking the lights apart.

The BiXenon will go in, ZMANALEX could tell you if they are a straight swap (I'm not sure on the wrinig on the plug of these) however they are pricey. Again, Alex will give you the best price in the UK if he has any. As for labour depends if they are a straight swap. If they are then two hours would do it. Or do it yourself it's very simple!

You can get the indicators with the bonnet up. I think you can maybe get the others out with the wheel turned or removed and the arch liner tanen off. Alternatively you can remove the headlight unit to change the bulbs.

I use Gliptone to clean and protect my leather. Leaves a lovely natural finiah and an amazing smell. Personally I use blackfire products to keep my car looking nice and protected. Clarkie34 recently converted to blackfire too. Others use Collinite. Basically any good wax will leave it nice if the paint is prepped below it.

Finally, bluetooth adaptor from Nissan dealer, MJP (site sponsor) or ebay.

Hope I managed to answer all the questions bud.

Only thing I have noticed is that on high speeds I can hear the wind rustling in the driver window. The window drops fine when you open the door and then goes up as it should when you close the door. However I suspect the rubber seal is not quite air tight.

Also, noticed the common issue of the front head lights fogging up - except its not condensation but the actual plastic furring up (bit of a weak point so I've heard), as other members have experienced.

Re the window, it might be slightly off track, or not going 100% up. It only takes a minimal gap, but it could be the rubber. Hard to know without being there. ;)

I'm a broken record on the this topic in the last week :blush: , but this is a fabulous product and a gentle way to treat your heatlights, that works effectively. ;)

Thanks for your replies. Can Gliptone and Blackfire products be bought from Halfords (just for convenience as I have one down my road)? Bronzee you made reference to a good product that helps the headlights - which product helps?

Cheers

Matt

I am a big fan of Blackfire. Polished Bliss are an excellent set of guys and a fab web site. Once layered I use Meguirs Hyperwash ( costs a lot but lasts for a year) to wash it down without taking off the finish - stronger cleaners ( beware of car wash's, even the hand clean ones ) can strip off the delicate finishes. Halfords are starting to get Meguirs etc, but it isn't the professional stuff you can get from detail suppliers like Polished Bliss.

I find the new Polymer sealers, then a carnuba wax, then a high gloss detail spray really does the job. Once done you can just wash and give a quick HG Detail spray to keep it like that forever.

Autoglym leather conditioner is used by a lot of us. But plenty of other good ones.

Thanks guys. Yes the dealer did do a good job polishing it all up so am quite relieved. There is a small scratch at the back rear bumper which they missed but I also missed it until yesterday so was a bit annoyed with myself but other than that the car is lovely. Really shiny. As it hasn't rained I can't tell if it has been waxed or not. Is there a way to tell if it has been waxed?

If may wax it this arvo if the weather holds up as they did a machine polish on the car so want to make sure it's well protected. In the past I have simply used Turtlewax Wash and Wax - which is basically just the detergent, and then following that I use Meguirs Gold System carnuba wax which has always seemed to bring out a good shine. I'm open to trying new things. I always hand wash myself - never use garage car washes nor jet washes. I have my own jet wash so am quite lucky :) What are Polymer sealers? Are these similar to paint sealer which means you don't have to wax for a long time and keeps a long lasting glossy finish? I saw this advertised in the nissan dealer but they charged £299.

Ebay is becoming good for detailing products.

I doubt you'll find Blackfire anywhere else than polished bliss as they have UK distribution rights.

Halfords sell the 'commercial' Meguiars stuff. It's ok but the pro stuff is much better value as you buy it in bulk as Drew said.