Oil Pressure Guage.

Hamster

Morning

Haivng test drove a couple of Z's over the past couple of weekends i have noticed that on 1 especially the oil pressure guage needle moved loads when accelerating hard and most of them only moved a little bit.. When i asked the dealer he about the one that moved lots if it was normal he was unsure.

What is normal?? :thumbs:

thanks

Hamster

How warm or cold were they? If mines cold and I rag it ( :scare: ), I can get the needle right the way round the guage. When warm however, it moves between 1/2 and 3/4 when booting it. For me, if coasting I get about 1/4, normal load is about 1/2 and booting it gets it to about 3/4 way round. All 3 Zeds I have driven do this when warm :)

the one that moved lots was cold... that could explain it.. the other 2 had been test driven earlier that day ..

Thanks!

Rob

Oil pressure is a lot higher when cold, as the oil has a higher viscosity when cold, making it harder to move around. When warm it is a lot easier to pump around and will need less pressure. I find the Zeds oil tends to stay warm for quite some time after a drive, more so than other cars I've driven. Can be warm for hours after a good drive and not take much to get up to temp. This is probably what you've seen. When warm they should all behave the same, if one has higher oil pressure I'd be worried about what oil they have in it.

My new Z's oil pressure moves a fair bit higher when accelerating but this is totally normal and when not accelerating it stays in a constant spot, which should be slightly below the half way spot (all the different Z's I test drove did this). Be worried if the oil pressure if very low! It will move upwards when you apply acceleration..nothing to worry about. As long as you give it at least ten minutes of "grandad" driving with no hard revving over 3.5k when from cold allowing it to warm up properly and use the correct oil - from memory it should be fully synthetic 5w30 or 5w40 or 10w40 - there may be others you can use too not sure. And check you oil regularly.

Put Simply - The oil pump is driven by the engine. The higher the revs the faster it turns, thus increasing the oil pressure. Hot or cold shouldn't make too much difference, although when cold the oil is thicker and more viscous and will give a slightly higher pressure for the revs. Once hot and runny it needs slightly more revs to take it too the same pressure.

All very normal. If revs and pressure go up in unison then it's all ok.