Quick question about replacing Brake pads

kustard

Hi guys,

Car is currently getting it's P1 service and MOT

Garage rang and said front pads were about 70% worn and rears could 'probably' do with replacing too.

quoting 250 quid for all four (didn`t give me a brand)

Would you lot bother? Is that expensive? Sounds it to me?

Anyway, if anyone could give me some advice it'd be much appreciated.

/noob :p

got a full set of Endless for £165 plus fitting or you can get Red Stuff from CS for less. Any garage can fit them and there is even a helpful guide in the guides section. I would use this opportunity to upgrade. Its worthwhile :)

Spend the money on some upgraded pads and do them yourself, very easy, approx 1hr to do all 4

redstuff £109 for front and rear off CS

or go for ds2500 ferodo's

the oem pads are standard ferodo, i changed to redstuff and have not been disappointed

Thanks both.

Have rung back and told them to leave it for now. I'll try and do them myself - about time I learnt a bit more about car maintenance!

With regards best ones to get, I guess I drive 'normally' (if that can be classed a description ;)) no track days or anything, so guess I just need some good pads, but not necessarily ultra high performance. Would the ones you recommended fit the bill? Any clear winners?

Thanks again

A

I can recommend the red stuff pads, their pretty cheap too.

Changing them yourself is a really easy job (15mins per corner). If you can change a wheel you can probably change brake pads.

Rear can be a little trickier, but not done them on a z yet so can't comment.

whats the main difference between red and yellow stuff?

I could do with fast road/poss track use ;)

Redstuff are suited for day to day driving, better than the Nissan pads, bonus in that they also produce a lot less brake dust.

Yellowstuff pads suit harder driving and braking, capable of taking more punishment and also good/suitable for track use too.

:thumbs:

After how many miles do these usually need replacing? Also, is it possible to get larger discs to prevent wheels from looking hollow (like pram wheels!)?

You can get bigger discs, if you upgrade to a Big Brake Kit, cost is in the region of about £1,500 for the front… :thumbs:

The Brembo caliper on the front takes a 324mm disc and the rear is 322mm... :)