suspension upgrade

From A to Zed

Hi all,

Has anyone tried fitting ARB’s and springs rather going all out and fitting coilovers? I've read some recent posts and noted the great results but I can't really justify spending another £800 odd on coilovers as my brake discs and pads will need changing next year...

I'm considering something like this from the Z1 site:

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?mode ... rodid=3283

I want the car to look a bit tougher and handle a bit sharper but I drive well within the car’s limits (and my own) so I think coilovers are probably OTT for my needs... I might do a track day at some point but it’s not something I intend to get serious about… We all know about intentions on there though! :teeth:

Thanks guys,

Matt

The Cobb setup (good for 2004.5 and up cars) or the Hotchkis setup (good for 2002-2004 models) are a great value/dollar and among the most popular setups we sell. Addresses the main points but giving you front/rear adjustable swaybars (dramatically reduces body lean, improves turn in response) and giving you a slightly lower stance, while still keeping the car comfortable.

There are members here with the Hotchkis setups that we have sent them - might be able to search and find reviews. The Cobb setup only came out earlier this year (is made by Hotchkis for Cobb), so reviews would be more easily found on the my350z.com

Both are great kits for the money

Thanks Pagnobito,

I have aftermarket wheels and Big Phil got the offset spot on so they fill the arches nicely. I'm basically looking for a little drop, for the style, and something to sharpen the handling a touch. I think most folk on here have either fitted just the springs or gone the whole nine yards with coilovers and ARB's etc. I was looking for something halfway to keep the budget in check...

Cheers,

Matt

Car moves to another dimension when you put coilovers on. Springs will change it as they are a different tensile and more set for track work.

You just wont get the benifit of the dampers... but for road use you will be fine.

You will find with the uprated Anti rollbars that you feel a change for the better, but you have to remember the ride will change, when you hit a bump or pothole on one side of the car you will feel it on both....

i have the nismo front coilover, rear spring n damper setup and nismo ARB in the front.

the car will feel sharper, better turn in, reduced dive and pitch and reduced body roll.

The ride will be harder than the stock suspension as the damping is harder to reduce body roll,pitch and dive...although not unbearable or aggressive, it is harder than stock.

I see what you are saying, I have uprated my daily cars in the past resulting in harder rides and damaged alloys when the tyre profiles are reduced and hitting pot holes.

The roads round here in the South East rattle my fillings on the standard setup as it is so I have not intention to make that worse!

It is up to you, just giving my opinion.

I will however upgrade my 928S4 as I enjoy using that on the track and it would benefit from some adjustables so I can dial it in for road and track use.

I see what you are saying, I have uprated my daily cars in the past resulting in harder rides and damaged alloys when the tyre profiles are reduced and hitting pot holes.

The roads round here in the South East rattle my fillings on the standard setup as it is so I have not intention to make that worse!

It is up to you, just giving my opinion.

I will however upgrade my 928S4 as I enjoy using that on the track and it would benefit from some adjustables so I can dial it in for road and track use.

Or get some Tein Coilovers and an EDFC setup so you dont have to get your hands dirty! Not sure if they do them for porkas though :wacko:

The Cobb setup (good for 2004.5 and up cars) or the Hotchkis setup (good for 2002-2004 models)

I've read a few roumers of differences in suspension on early JDMs compared to UK setup and the later 2004+ JDMs.

What actually are the differences? Springs? Shocks? arbs? And what would you need to change on an early car to make it work well with something like the Cobb setup?

Steve

Or get some Tein Coilovers and an EDFC setup so you dont have to get your hands dirty! Not sure if they do them for porkas though :wacko:

OT, the S4 uses ride height adjustable coil overs as standard, upgrades are bilstein or koni with hypercoils and can be specified with different spring rates depending on use.

The Cobb setup (good for 2004.5 and up cars) or the Hotchkis setup (good for 2002-2004 models)

I've read a few roumers of differences in suspension on early JDMs compared to UK setup and the later 2004+ JDMs.

What actually are the differences? Springs? Shocks? arbs? And what would you need to change on an early car to make it work well with something like the Cobb setup?

Steve

All the same up till mid 2004. After that, rear spring rate went up and valving was changed as well. Hotchkis was developed around the pre mid 2004 cars, Cobb was developed for the later cars. In 2007 I believe front swaybar diameter increased as well, though still smaller than Hotchkis and the Cobb set. This is why the NISMO sways and NISMO spring/shock is a nice setup for earlier cars, but a lot of money for not much improvement on later models