2nd Gear!

neil2185

Hello - only had my zed a week now and I am noticing that shifting from 3rd to 2nd is quite hard and you need quite a bit of force to engage the gear.

1st to 2nd is fine and when the car isnt moving or going very slow 3rd to 2nd is ok?

Is this normal, something wrong with the car or something I am doing wrong, should I just be using 3rd more and if so what speed would you stay in 3rd or take 2nd. (approching a juction etc etc)

The Zed 'box can be a bit stiff when cold, does it happen to you all the time or just after you first start a journey?

As for what gear you should be in, I'm not sure anyone can help you with that as that's what you learn on your driving lessons. You choose the gear appropriate for the conditions, to always stay in one regardless would be incredibly stupid.

mate dont be silly, I am not suggesting that one gear all the time is best and I dont need driving lessons, I am just saying has anyone else noticed that it prefers to be in a higher or lower gear compaired to most cars when just driving normally.

Its normally when its cold, do a lot of people have that problem then? is that normal??

When cold, yes. There's loads of posts on this forum about it, and it's perfectly normal.

Given that the ratios of the 'box are very similar to just about every other performance car out there (1st gear 30mph, 2nd 60mph, 3rd 90mph etc give or take a few mph here or there), you shouldn't be finding yourself in a different gear at all, or certainly not that you'd notice. If you came from something like a small four-pot then it may just be the different feel that a larger capacity engine gives you, but that would be all.

Bose skipping is another common issue, have a good read through all the FAQs here.

I too came from a 2.0L turbo car and there is a big difference between the best way to use the engines, so I would imagine that's probably where you're finding issues. Only way to solve is to drive the car some more, so that's no hardship there ;)