Any luck with Nissan touch up kit?

Rentech

Been trying to get on with this kit but struggling. The black colour match is spot on but after applying the laquer this is where my difficulty starts :headhurt:. Leave it for the >20 mins < 48 hours and try and polish it down but the laquer touch up just keeps popping off.

What method do people use to polish in the laquer. On previous cars I've used some t-cut or swirl remover and rubbed in with a cloth over a credit card (to give a nice flat edge).

could try and mix it with the paint , when i did steves the wing was full of stone chips , i asked him to build up the paint before i did the detail , all i did then was wet sand the whole wing and polish back up .

i can see what your saying , if the chip is full of paint then the lacquer is just on top and therefore will just come off , i think some touch ups are a mix of paint and lacquer so might be werth trying to mix them , then build up in layers rather than one blob as that will have a tendency to come out as well

could try and mix it with the paint , when i did steves the wing was full of stone chips , i asked him to build up the paint before i did the detail , all i did then was wet sand the whole wing and polish back up .

i can see what your saying , if the chip is full of paint then the lacquer is just on top and therefore will just come off , i think some touch ups are a mix of paint and lacquer so might be werth trying to mix them , then build up in layers rather than one blob as that will have a tendency to come out as well

My thoughts to Peter.

Mix the paint lacquer first then apply and then the rub back and polish.

Paul

Whats your workflow been for doing the chips? You need to make sure that they are clean of any crap before you start. Then add tiny bits of paint (like as little as you possibly can) and build it up. Dont fill the whole chip as you need to leave a recess for the laquer. Add that, then you are good to flatten it down again. Lanka Blob Remover works fairly well at this, it only attacks fresh paint, and flattens down the blob. :)

• 1 month later...

I have been leaving a small recess for the final laquer. The nissan kit 'paint' seems to be better described as ink! Is this because it is water based?

The car is so dirty at this time of the year the odd chip is out of site out of mind. Not untreated, mind you, just not smoothed off to my exacting standards :D